Took my wife and dog for a quick hunt

dustinyotes

I have been trying to take Jo (my dog) out coyote hunting for the last several weekends but it just was not working out for one reason or another. On Friday night I told my wife I was going to go for a couple hours Saturday morning and asked if she wanted to go and she said "absolutely". We left our home just after 5:00 AM and headed for a spot that has always worked well for some fun decoy action.

This is our stand.

I love this kind of stand with my dog because we have a great view of the coyotes coming in and get to watch Jo work the coyotes from a good vantage point. Just as I got to the small canyon edge I noticed Jo kept stopping and staring at the bottom of the canyon, I looked several times but never saw anything. Jo took off down through the sage and I assumed she was just going to do what she always does and sniff around the bottom of this canyon until a coyote showes up. All of the sudden my wife says "coyote" I look up to see a coyote running up the opposite side of the canyon with us still walking along in the sage. I said to my wife that we should just sit down and watch and see what happens. As soon as the coyote hit the top of the canyon above the trees it turned and looked back and saw Jo at the bottom of the canyon and the coyote turned and came right back down the hill toward Jo. The sage is very tall in this canyon and the coyote and Jo passed each other about 20 yards from each other, Jo caught the coyotes sent and turned around and chased it through the trees. They chased each other and ran back and forth for several minutes. I asked my wife if she wanted to shoot the coyote and she tried to balance her rifle on her knee but did not feel steady enough (shooting sticks were still strapped inside her chair), she told me to shoot so I did.

Jo with her reward.

I love hunting with a dog this time of year, the coyotes often don't even care that I am there.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Nice story, nice terrain, nice looking dog, nice dead coyote, extra nice wife. Wish my wife was into it. Good for you, thanks for sharing.

I am very lucky to have a wife that enjoys hunting and the outdoors as much as I do. It is my goal for her to shoot her first coyote this year, she has had a few opportunities but it just has not worked out yet.

Originally Posted By: K9 GunnerDo you worry about your dog catching something from the yote?

She goes to the vet for check ups and I keep here up to date on her vaccinations. She has been doing this for a few years and I haven't seen any issues.

Great pictures, great report. You are indeed a lucky man to have your wife enjoy hunting with you. As for the dog, great pictures of a dog doing what it loves best. Thanks for posting.

Back