Anyone hitting clay pigeons consistency at 400 yards

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei'm going to go optimistic at 20% and guess 10 our of 50.

but it wouldnt shock me if its quite a bit lower than that.

Really close... conditions from year to year dictated paticulars but there where always around 8-9 (+/- a couple) people that run it clean. As you can imagine the majority came from the Benchrest class. A few (2-3) from hunter/tactical (custom gun allowed but round forarm) and I only ever remember one factory gun doing it (a savage LRPV in 6BR).

No AR ever made it; but to be fair there where VERY few I ever remember even seeing (like 2, maybe 3 at most). There would have been a better chance if more had been involved obviously, but the lack of them there also says something...

Of course this was a little different than going out there and shooting unlimited times at a certain yardage and then shooting a few clays laying on the ground (where "close" shots still break the skeet due to "splash" after you've had forever to get honed in at that paticular range). At the match; the skeet where suspended in the air (2 strings to keep them directed) and no real sighters. Even if it's a 1MOA taget, you can only miss center by 1/2MOA. So being centered was pretty important. Then even the ttask of correctly adjusting the scope to the next range got some people...

While certainly possible & doable... In hunting and actual real world scenario, I'm betting a LOT less people can do this than think they can -again - CONSISTENTLY. At least 90% of the people that came to that somewhat similar match (supposedly prepared & practiced for the task) couldn't.

Not arguing or calling anyone out... Just food for thought from real world experience.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeWhile certainly possible & doable... In hunting and actual real world scenario, I'm betting a LOT less people can do this than think they can -again - CONSISTENTLY. At least 90% of the people that came to that somewhat similar match (supposedly prepared & practiced for the task) couldn't.

Not arguing or calling anyone out... Just food for thought from real world experience.

totally agree with you coleridge. i wrote that i could. but in truth can not.

but gee whiz, everybody on the internet can and i just wanted to be like them. after a while, it is like, if you can not beat them, might as well join them.
lol.gif
lol.gif

the internet has created a great big old batch of bullchitters.
thumbup1.gif

The OP never said first round hits. That's a whole nuther ballgame then

A sighter is worth a whole bunch when you're an amateur.

Last edited:
My AR's, both custom (one a rifle and other a handgun) is very capable of this and one of my shooting partner's AR, he is routinely taking it out to 1K on 10" steel.
So yes.
First round hits? Depends on the conditions
Consistent hits? Depends on the conditions
I would say more hits than not on average.
I guess I would need to actually do it on some clays, before I could say for sure though.
But I have grouped it enough on steel, to be very pleased.
Marla, one of our ladies at church, used my AR (rifle) for one of our church steel shoots I put on every year. She put 3-shots (only shot three times at the target) at 330 yards that measured 2.25".

We shoot out to about 950 yards on 5" and 10" steel, with some larger targets.

This is Wayne using a factory set-up at 622 yards.
He let one get out of control and go high.

The shoot Coleridge described is a very different game than standard clays at 400. Mini's at 330, midi's at 425, and standards at 500 are .72-0.85MOA, whereas standards at 400 are a touch over 1moa. The occurrence of reliably 1MOA AR's is much more frequent than reliably 3/4MOA AR's.

One thing I overlooked in this thread so far has been shooting conditions. From a bench or prone, unlimited time, sure, it's pretty easy to keep a handful of my AR's around 1MOA. Offhand or fast firing is a very different story. I spent a lot of time shooting 3 and 4 position, so my offhand is good, but my bench work is still markedly cleaner.

For all you guys breaking clays at 400 yards, we have a fun shoot at the PM Hunt and all you have to do is break a chicken egg at 150 yards consistently. The winner gets one heck of a nice prize. Hope to see you there.

Originally Posted By: whyVery impressive indeed. I don't have a 400 yd range close by but I have a 200 yd range where I shoot golf balls. Hits are better than 50%.

So do you yell fore when you shoot them off the greens or do you shoot them out of the fairways?
Do you fix your divots when you miss?

Back