.300 AAC Blackout Cases

with the availability of brass that makes good no-turn necks, there's no reason to even consider it - unless you're REEEEEEELY bored.

order up a batch of lake city and go to town.

raw lake city (sorted LC only) can be had for under $50/k if youre willing to buy in bulk.
http://valhalladistributing.com/

never turned a one. not when going from 223 to 17-223, or 22 hornet to 17 hornet, or 30-06 to 270, and never on 300 BO brass.

I just make sure to use lc and I anneal it after my first firing. That way I only have to do 60-90 at a time. I've heard of people having case head separations after 3 firings but I havnt. I can get new gemtech for 15/100 but I have a metric crap ton of lc so I just make some. I've got about 1000 made and 500 bought

Just chop it, FL size with a small base sizer and trim to length. I have about 15K pcs of Winchester 1x fired .223 brass, so I will have hard time justifying ever buying 300BO brass. Lake City, RP or WW are your best options in terms of case wall thickness being thin enough to not have to turn.

You don't need to chop it. I have a cts trimmer. I just pull the expander out of my dies. Run them through to size. Then cut them with the trimmer. Then I tumble them. I resize and deprime afterwards

Seems like an awful lot to trim but if it works it works. I am more concerned with the thickness of the neck after the case is cut down. I think the answer was a couple of posts earlier about the type of brass and I do like Lake City. Have found that the odd stuff (S&B, PMP, etc.) tend to be in the 0.014" range and the Federal, LC, Win and RP closer to 0.011" which works great. I am certainly not a fan of turning necks, but cutting off .222 or .223 brass, sizing and trimming seems to work just fine.

I don't think you'd need to turn necks. They may be a little thinner on some brass. I've heard people get 2-3 shots on brass and the neck splits. I haven't shot my brass enough to get that far yet.

Me either, it's just that when you go to crimp the heavier bullets if the case neck is too thick and the bullet has been seated, it won't crimp due to the overall diameter of the finished round. With brass that is in the 0.011" neck thickness range it works fine. Anything thicker than that is a no go. Have not experienced the split neck issue yet.

still waiting for split necks. i've got some brass thats on its 4th loading right now, but most of my loads are pretty mild and everything just got annealed here last cycle so i should be in ok shape for a while yet.

i did have one partial case web separation but i'm assuming it was from pre-blackout conversion because AFAIK it was on its first go-round.

Back