Official truck thread.....

Dropadoglv

Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota......which trucks are you guys driving? And which ones do you think are the best all-around? ie: mileage, towing, etc....

I have driven nothing but Toyoto's ( as my dad calls them) since the early 90's. Never had one in the shop. Get around good in snow and mud.

Terrible luck with domestic vehicles (plastic transmissions, etc) drove me to Toyota.

YMMV

If Toyota made a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel, I'd be all over it. But it would probably cost about 3rd more than a comparable ford/Chevy/dodge.

My neighbor has a new Tundra and it's a nice truck but it only gets around 12 mpg and a lot of his driving is highway miles. My old and paid for 98 Chevy Z71 will knock off 15 1/2 mpg around town. I had thoughts of trading for a new one then I checked out the prices. A nice truck with the comforts I like is over $50K....no way am I paying that for something to beat around in.

Originally Posted By: TnslimMy neighbor has a new Tundra and it's a nice truck but it only gets around 12 mpg and a lot of his driving is highway miles. My old and paid for 98 Chevy Z71 will knock off 15 1/2 mpg around town. I had thoughts of trading for a new one then I checked out the prices. A nice truck with the comforts I like is over $50K....no way am I paying that for something to beat around in. even though I'm a dodge diesel guy...those toyota's are great trucks....I'd be all over one if they made it in a diesel with high torque!!! Think that would be the best of all worlds!

I like my Tundra, 166k plus without any problems except 1 tranny. It went out at 1800 miles. Pulls my 21ft boat 75 with no problem. Gets 10mpg while doing it though. Normal driving,65mph gets 15mpg highway. One trip through some stop lights and you get 12. A chevy rides better with better gas mileage. Not as fast though. An old dodge 24 valve is the way to go.

When I was young, I was a die-hard Chevy guy.....until 1987-88 that is.
Frames just kept getting lighter, and less sturdy IMHO.
Then, when they changed body style in '87 or '88, that was all for me. (And for my dad, who was still buying a new truck every few years.)

When the 2016 models came out, although it's not easy for me to get down onto the ground (and back up again) nowadays, I managed to crawl under all of the 1/2 ton models....Ford; Chevy; GMC; Dodge and Toyota.
Why?
Because I wanted to compare, with my own eyes, how the frames were constructed.

Given today's prices, I am not about to go into debt to buy a new truck. (although I would love to have one.)
But, I was still curious...being an old farm boy who remembers what a truck is used for (if you're not a city dude). Hahahahaha

Anyway...I am still of the same mindset now as I was in 1988.
If I wanted to buy a truck...to be used like a truck...I would buy a Ford. (Granted, if I was still living/working on a farm, it would be a 3/4 ton & not a 1/2 ton.)

If I was buying one for just a "driver", that I might also use hunting (but not major off-roading)...it would be a toss-up between the F150 & the Tundra.
I like the looks of both.

I am not a fan of the looks of the new Dodges.
And, I absolutely loath the looks of the new Chevy/GMC.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAint none of them worth what they cost.

Not the new ones anyway!

I picked up a real nice used 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a 5.9 Cummins backed by a six-speed tranny almost four years ago. It's a great truck. It had 73,500 on the odo then; it's up to 101,000 now. I expect it'll keep me happy for at least another decade, maybe more.

After 25yrs of trouble free driving I sold my trusty 1991 Toyota Dlx 4x4 PU and bought a 2012 Tundra Double cab 4x4.I could live with the body rust.But all the corrosion on the underside was giving me some serious cause for concern.

Chevy. Enough said. Dodge is alright but you wouldn't catch me dead buying a Ford, complete pos trucks and even their sports cars are a joke... their 5.0 mustang is a 32 valve motor with 4 roller cams and only puts out 500 hp? The powerstroke is the worst diesel engine according to a survey done by Diesel Army and Speed Society and Jegs backed the survey. I've never owned a diesel, mainly because my 6.0 Z71 will do everything I need it to do, I've hauled dozers, 30 ft goose neck with two John Deeres on it, a 20 foot flatbed loaded down with 55 gallon drums full of corn (had to cut wheel wells off cause it was squatting so bad) and did well over the speed limit each haul. I have no desire to buy a Ford or a Dodge but would buy a Dodge before a Ford and a Toyota before a Dodge. But I will buy a chevy before any of them.

All My Trucks/Suburbans are Chevy/GMC,the Cars are Chevy,Buick or my much Older 1966 & 1969 Pontiacs....I'm a GM Man all the way,only off-Brand Truck I'd consider other wise would be the Toyota Tundra!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GTOHunterAll My Trucks/Suburbans are Chevy/GMC,the Cars are Chevy,Buick or my much Older 1966 & 1969 Pontiacs....I'm a GM Man all the way,only off-Brand Truck I'd consider other wise would be the Toyota Tundra!
wink.gif
Good man!

I've had GM for many years and the last one a 2008 with the 5.3 motor that used oil. This wasn't the only model year that did so either. Anyway, when OBUMMER bailed out General Motors, that was it. Ford trucks now with no complaints!

I own an older '99 Ford 3/4 ton with the magnificent 7.3 Powerstroke (work truck) and a 2005 Tacoma (daily driver).

Both get over 20 mpg on the highway turning 70-75mph. Haven't towed anything with the Toyota in years but I remember it had plenty of power for what I was doing. Saw a guy that had a 25 or 30 foot pontoon boat hooked up to his Tacoma a few years ago, he said it was a bit much for the little truck but it pulled ok. Not something I'd want to do but he made it work. The 7.3 pulls circles around the other diesels and while there are things I would change about the rest of the Ford I haven't been a Chevy fan since they changed their body style (and quality IMO) back in '88 and as for Dodge well if it ever really came down to Mopar or no car I'd end up walking. Some of the bigger gassers can pull pretty well but their mileage sucks (pulling or not).

Last edited:
If it comes down to it I prefer 2 wheels

But I'm a square body guy myself

In the background.
Has a 396 semi hopped up. Front and rear lockers and 36-12.5x15 tsl swampers. It's my do all truck. Then I have my new venture with vw
little 1600 in it. Fun on the dirt

I've been shopping around for a new 4x4 truck and have considered Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota. I don't do heavy hauling or towing anymore. I only need a truck that gets 'acceptable' gas mileage and is good to access the back roads for hunting. I've nearly decided on a Toyota Tacoma. It seems that most criticism about the Tacoma is "It drives too much like a truck!" which is o.k. with me. Would anyone say I would be making a mistake buying a Tacoma? Thanks for any and all opinions.

I'm 6-2 and over 230lbs, I am very comfortable in a full size Chevy. I have a 2008 Tahoe now with 160000 trouble free miles. I have thought about a Tacoma, but they seem like they might be a bit cramped for someone my size.

Back