6.5 Creedmoor. Which brand ?

NDAR15MAN

Thinking about buying a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a weaver t36 scope I have to find a gun for. Ha ha. Which one. Savage axis or Ruger american , predator it weatherby ? I am leaning towards weatherby because it has a 24 inch barrel. Others only 22 barrel. Weatherby I think might be $70.00 more. But weatherby might not have have as good as trigger as other two. Will not be reloading. Buying over counter ammo. What do you guys think ? I have savage axis in 223 cal. Really like it. Martyd

While I built mine, the Rugers have a very good reputation for accuracy, especially with factory ammo...Here's mine with a 8-32x Burris optic..It's a '45 Styer-Mauser 98 action with a Douglas XX Precision 24" Light Varmint tapered barrel in a 1-8 twist, mounted in a bedded Boyds laminated stock..I shoot both factory and my loads in it..

Oldturtule. Wow nice gun. I don't have the skill like you to put together a gun like that. It sure is a nice gun. Martyd

Last edited:
We have 3 in the rack. A ruger Hawkeye and 2 weatherby vanguards. Those we bought for the kids as I felt they were abit better suited for mule deer and such. All of them are bone stock except my son has put a BC medalist on his. My ruger wears the laminate from the factory and although a little heavy makes a fine carrying rifle.

Yep tough choice. I think Savage and Ruger have adjustable triggers. Weatherby Vanguard does not but barrel is 2 inches longer. Don't sound that big of deal but that extra 100 fps could make the difference from going from 1000 yards to 1200 yards. I hope to retire some day back in North Dakota. lots of long shots. When you have had knee replacements you don't do to many coyote drives. a lot of hunting off a chair in the fence row , shooting long ways at coyotes. Ha ha ha. Plus I could picture my self trying to shoot some f class tournaments when I retire. Not going to win with a 450.00 gun but will be able to learn a lot from the guys that are good shots and be able to shoot at some nice ranges that will not cost that much. Might be over thinking on buying the 6.5 Creedmoor . I have a tikka 243 that shoots winchester 100 soft point 3/4 inch groups . Have 600 rounds stashed away. I don't think I would shoot all that ammo before I die. I think it would shoot out to 800 yards with this factory ammo. But you only live once right. Ha ha ha. Keep the feed back coming on which if these $490.00 I should buy. Thanks. Martyd

Well id be lying if I told you I always grab my ruger. Truth beknown both of the vanguards are abit more accurate than the ruger with the loads we have devolped. I can say if I was to do it again Id go with a weatherby. It dont take to many shots to get used to the 2 stage trigger,and if that bothers you swap in a timney. My son didnt need to change the stock on his but had alittle coin burning a hole in his pocket. Although not as flashy I feel that the vanguard offers alot for the price.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye predator. It comes standard with a 24 inch barrel. I have been fairly impressed with it so far. Still working on loads to find what it really likes but it has shot everything I have put thru it factory and hand loads at about 1 inch groups with some of my hand loads down around 1/2 inch. I haven't been back to the range to try some different powders or bullet combos. This was just a preliminary loading with Varget and 123 A max's.

So far it is showing promise.

drscott

Vanguard 1st
Savage 2nd

If you know you are going into F, Savage, as it is easier to get going and more options available.

If you plan to get into F-Open, Start with a Savage Target action (Single-shot), and then get a barrel (choose your length) that would also be conducive for 600 yard and work at 1K+ for goofing.
There are a number of barrel options available for Savage that allows you to get a better than average barrel.
You could even find a Creed take-off possibly
Buy the parts as the funds become available, and use your 243 in the meantime (even for 600 yard F)
In the end you will have a precision rifle that can do everything you want exceptionally well.
I can walk you through front and rear bags, if needed for F-Class as well.

DRSCOTT... I did not know RUGER MADE THE 6.5 CREEDMOOR IN A 24 inch barrel . I will check it out.

**** just looked it up. they do but HAWKEYE PREDATOR High dollar gun. $1100.00 , not the $480.00 i wanted to spend on a 24 inch barrel Creedmoor. still leaning towards the weatherby vanguard because of the 24 inch barrel going to look at all of them and see which feels better. marty.

Last edited:
You might want to look into Rifleshooter.com for more info on the 6.5 Creed....There are several articles and test results with different barrel lengths that a couple of writers have done, as well as twist rate info..

I was just reading one this morning on the effects of barrel length and accuracy at different distances..Except for the noise factor with a shorter barrel, the accuracy seems to stay consistent until you get out past 600 yards..That's relative to the standard 100 yard group and it obviously opens up as the distance gets greater..

which gun or gun/barrel combo would work for a hunting only rifle out to at least 400yds maybe
looking at using these if i even go the 6.5 route
hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X™ Precision Hunter

Back