25x45 Sharps Update

In the process on building a 25-45 upper, got a great deal on a 18" barrel from Rainier.Using an Anderson lightweight upper (no forward assist or dust cover), Diamondhead VRS-T 13.5" handguard. Trying to find dies. I see SRC has them on their web-site but they seem mighty pricey. I'm pretty excited about this build, hope to use it this fall for whitetail.

Thanks GLShooter. Will I be able to form case from .223 with that sizer? I have .257 Roberts, and 25-06 dies, I suppose I could use one of those seaters?

Originally Posted By: kycontenderThanks GLShooter. Will I be able to form case from .223 with that sizer? I have .257 Roberts, and 25-06 dies, I suppose I could use one of those seaters?

I looked long and hard on that question several months ago. Guys on another board say they are making it with 223 REDOING BUSHING dies. On my 223 Reddings the hole is not big enough to allow for a 257 neck expansion. I use mine all the time to do 6MM but the 257 is just a little too big. I ended up buying the CH4D sizer. Sharps sells their Horndy build sets that are not cheap but in reality buying a CH4D and adding a Hornady seater only cost about $10.00 more plus you get FREE BULLETS!! LOL.

You can make them by using a 257 mandrel set up like we use for neck turning. I have them in all calibers from 17 to 358 so for me it costs me nothing on that route. They are also good to square up cases that get dented in use/transport.

Unless you have Hornady seaters in one of these sets I seriously doubt you will be able to use them as seaters as they are way too tall for a 223 lenght case as in 1.750 vs. 2.333. I don't have a Bob set or I would try it.

You are going to need a sizer at some point unless you just want to do a small amount of 223 and shoot it only one. I suppose if you necked sized only like for a bolt gun you could cheat and then run the cases through a 223 die down the road when you got tight cases but you can't do that with an AR. The sizer from CH4D I have is stamped 25-223 BTW.

One neat thing is that SHARPS sells the brass with the proper HS made by Federal and that is a plus if you go that route. I found out that SAAMI requires that there be properly stamped brass when they approve a cartridge. I think that and the $250,000 + to do one keeps out the riff-raff.

Greg

Greg

Yes it was early had not had my first cup of coffee and I wasn't thinking about the length of those dies. Thanks for the info and turning me on to CH4D< I will check them out.

Scott

Originally Posted By: kycontenderGreg

Yes it was early had not had my first cup of coffee and I wasn't thinking about the length of those dies. Thanks for the info and turning me on to CH4D< I will check them out.

Scott

They are a nice company to deal with. Dave is very knowledgeable and if you catch him with some free time he will talk your leg off. They started producing the 243 LBC and 6X6.8 dies that were designed by Ritch after I sent them the reamer prints. The SHARPS has been around a it but BHW makes about 95% of those as they are the sole supplier to SRC.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Newtire$250,000??! Sounds like the Clintons should get in on this. Where does this loot go to?

If you mean SAAMI it goes to the testing of pressures and other engineering issues. They test the snot out of things. I have HEARD that HP White charges $10,000/shot to do the pressure work ups. That seems high but who knows?

Looking at the list there really aren't that many SAAMI'd cartidges. The big week a few years ago had them OK the 300BLK, 6,5 Grendel and the 25X45 SHARPS. The 6X45 was done earlier and I did not know that for a long time.

The submitter has to come up with a huge amount of information plus properly head stamped brass. They must have somewhere between 50,000-100,00 cases available for the intro. The cartridge must handle a 30% overload above standard pressures and not break things. That is why the 458 SOCOM has not been SAAMI'd per the guys I talked to that actually did the submission a few years ago.

The funny thing is many think that just being SAAMI'd guarantees commercial success and that is far from real. As noted the 6X45 is SAAMI'd and has been for years but no major manufacturer chambers a rifle n it and no commercial loading company of size produces it.

As soon as a wildcat of apparent good use shows up everyone clamors to get it SAAMI'd. Pretty much a waste of money unless the big boys get behind it Once you SAAMI the thing you loose all control of it and the incentive goes away for the little guy. Good for us but not for the developer. They won't certify a copyrighted or patented cartridge and that is why Bill Alexander had to relinquish all his rights concerning the Grendel. You will notice that the Beowulf is still not SAAMI'd and he controls/protects it fiercely.

The 25X45 is a neat little cartridge beyond a doubt and I do shoot one a bit but the 6X45 tends to reign over it in most applications that I have seen IMHO.

Greg

Very informative....thanks for adding the back story on the "How it happens".

Just finished loading up some more 25x45 tonight....for me it continues to be a great cartridge that does a lot of things well.

Back