Building a 6.5 Grendel?

gene10pntr

I have quite a few left over parts from building AR 223's and .204's. What parts can be used to build a 6.5 or are all the parts different? Didn't know if I can use the upper and lower or not?

Originally Posted By: WI3DerBolt, barrel and magazine are different from 556/223.

This. Everything will be same on 6.5 as 5.56 except bolt, barrel, magazines, and muzzle device if applicable.
Receivers and other internals will work.

Originally Posted By: gene10pntrWhat length barrel should I go with an twist?

You didn't say what you were going to use it for so a generic number, for me, would be 18" and a 1:8. Both my 264 LBC and 6.5 Grendel BHW tubes are 1:8 and shoot identically in the group department as far as I can see on target.

Greg

Last edited:
I'd go 20" 1-9 twist with the LBC chamber, but that's just cause it's what I have and it give's outstanding accuracy and velocity.

I use 20" on all mine
1:8 if you are shooting 123gr
1:9 if you are shooting 95 gr
Has worked well for me ---
Thx

You don't need a 1-8 twist till you step up to 140 g. bullets. My 1-9 twist shoots 123 grain Amax just fine, the 1-8 will make it build pressure slightly faster. This load in my rifle is over 2650 fps at current ambient temps from a 20" P3 barrel. But my rifle is faster shooting then most seem too.
IDK why...
8A1812C1-EB2B-4818-ACB0-C8BBAEE05B2B_zps6oucixjh.jpg

I mainly will be using it for just target shooting. Probably 200yds up to 500yds at most. Thanks for the replies...this is a new caliber for me to play with and have lots of research to do yet. Building a good rifle and then reloading for it,so any help at all is really appreciated!!!

Thanks to all again!
Gene

Back