Domestic dogs and coyotes

vanhornet

I'm in the process of moving full time to some fairly remote property I've owned 10 or so years. This ground is in mid Missouri, and is LOADED with never been hunted coyotes.

I have 3 dogs, 2 fifty pounders, and 1 twenty pounder.

In fact, this situation is what brought me to this wonderful forum over a year ago.

Some of my questions are : How much danger are my pets in ? I know predators take pets all the time, but will they attack dogs of this size ? In a pack ? I also know yotes kill deer, and stock and stuff, but they don't really fight back like a dog would. Do they ?

They usually don't wander more than 100 yards or so from the house, and usually as a pack, but I routinely hear many yotes, almost daily, within what sounds like about that same distance. Heck, slammin the car doors doesn't even seem to bother them.

Just lately it sounds like they have multiplied in numbers, and bravery, comin seemingly closer to the house. Whether this is real or perceived, it has me worried. Could the smell of the dogs bring them closer ?

I've been hangin out on this forum, almost daily for over a year, and have been collectin gear, calls, and information (thank you all), BUT, as of yet I haven't tried huntin them for various personal reasons, and I didn't want to "teach" them anything.

I plan to make a set or three SOON, but havin never called or anything, I think my chances of cullin a few are slim.

The lady I have been turkey hunting on has a male dog that weighs approximately 50lbs+. He never leaves the yard, cause of an invisible fence. Coyotes took his tail mostly off one night. The vet completed it the next day.

We let our 10 year old Australian Shepard out to do his thing one night 3 years ago and found him the next day 200 yards from the house dead and partially consumed. In your situation I think your chances of calling a coyote in are excellent. The wind will be the most important thing to consider on your first stand. You do want to educate them around your house. Teach them if they show up around your house they get shot.

Originally Posted By: vanhornet
I've been hangin out on this forum, almost daily for over a year, and have been collectin gear, calls, and information (thank you all), BUT, as of yet I haven't tried huntin them for various personal reasons, and I didn't want to "teach" them anything.

I plan to make a set or three SOON, but havin never called or anything, I think my chances of cullin a few are slim.

lol.gif
sorry, this makes me laugh. a lot
lol.gif
^^^^

after i read that a couple of things immediately came to mind. 1, this predator hunting forum totally blows when it comes to giving tips for predator hunting. or 2, you do not learn very well.

i do not say that in a mean way. just the way it came across when i read it.
lol.gif

if there is as many coyotes as you think and they are not scared of anything, the dogs very well could be lunch someday. especially the small one and especially if the coyotes have a den with pups close by. they are kind of protective of their territory this time of year.

trapping is a good way to take big numbers in a short time. maybe look into that.

I have watched coyotes lure my neighbors dog of about 85 lbs.
Several coyotes wait in the outskirts while one comes in as bait to antagonize.
One time they put a serious whoopin on him with a serious vet bill following.

These kind of discussions interest me. I really enjoyed that animal face off show or whatever it was called and have always wondered in a one on one which dogs could or couldn't be taken.

Quote: I have watched coyotes lure my neighbors dog of about 85 lbs.

In the early 50's my best friend's father was the American consul and, as a teenager, I was their guest on a trip to the Canelo Ranch in Mexico.

While there, the ranch hands told us about a pair of Russian Wolfhounds the owner had owned that would catch and kill any coyote unfortunate enough to come in close proximity to the ranch headquarters.

They said the coyotes finally teamed up and a single would come close to the compound and tempt the dogs to chase it, then would run to the pack for support. They finally managed to kill one of the pair and the other resisted temptation for several months but finally fell for the ruse and met the same fate as his mate.

Decoy dogs in reverse.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: vanhornet

lol.gif
sorry, this makes me laugh. a lot
lol.gif
^^^^

after i read that a couple of things immediately came to mind. 1, this predator hunting forum totally blows when it comes to giving tips for predator hunting. or 2, you do not learn very well.

i do not say that in a mean way. just the way it came across when i read it.
lol.gif

if there is as many coyotes as you think and they are not scared of anything, the dogs very well could be lunch someday. especially the small one and especially if the coyotes have a den with pups close by. they are kind of protective of their territory this time of year.

trapping is a good way to take big numbers in a short time. maybe look into that.

I hear ya. No offense taken. Let me re-word that.

I plan to make a set or 3 SOON, but havin never called or anything, I think my chances of cullin a few are slim on ,my first few sets because:

1. I have never called before, cept to the neborhood dogs 60 miles east of said property.
2. I have never made a coyote set.
3. I don't have any experience with huntin coyotes.
4. The woods here are so thick and hilly, 40 or 50 yard shots are about it.

As any teacher will tell you, talkin about it is not the same as doin it. I have been huntin for over 40 years, so I get it, just never done it.

I would rather kill them than run em off. I don't have a problem takin pups.

Also, The forum is great, and I learn very well thank you...

Wanna come out and show me ?

Last edited:
Van i would totally trap them if you just wanted to get rid of them. If your worried about the dogs you can make tons of sets out and eat up more land by setting traps.. calling takes practice, I dont believe you just wake up a master and the ones that do are ate up with c oyotes and can't go out the door with out tripping over them! And most of them haven't had to hunt the missouri hills and brush, they get wide open dessert or open prairie with a big ol advantage points.

Originally Posted By: vanhornetWanna come out and show me ?

pay my way there and back and tell me when to be there. i will show you how to get it done in the kind of terrain you have to work with. we will kill some coyotes too.

edit to add. you are very, very, very, very lucky to have computers and places such as this forum to help you learn this stuff. us older guys had none of it to help us learn. trial and error was how it worked. and i must say that worked pretty good for me.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Understand your concern, Jmho, I wouldn't be letting your dogs run free, unless your out with them, and even then?.....especially the little fellow...could, but not necessarily depend on your breed of dogs too...just as an example: 2 fifty pound pits as opposed to 2 fifty pound less aggressive dogs could make a difference. And I'm not saying all pits are aggressive! Because not all of them are. Remember this....coyotes DON'T play fair. I would gather your gear, and give it ago to rid the coyotes. Just my $.02

Last edited:
I have lived in coyote rich country for 20yrs, and have had all manners of dog from 10-140lbs, I have NEVER had a coyote come in and act aggressively towards my dogs. Even when we raised 70head of sheep and averaged 40-50 head of lambs every winter/spring, 1 dog on pasture was enough to ensure no losses of sheep. I have heard the stories for years, of dogs being drug off by yotes, but i don't know anyone personally who has ever lost a dog, nor fixed a dog who was injured by a yote.

Originally Posted By: jimmypI have lived in coyote rich country for 20yrs, and have had all manners of dog from 10-140lbs, I have NEVER had a coyote come in and act aggressively towards my dogs. Even when we raised 70head of sheep and averaged 40-50 head of lambs every winter/spring, 1 dog on pasture was enough to ensure no losses of sheep. I have heard the stories for years, of dogs being drug off by yotes, but i don't know anyone personally who has ever lost a dog, nor fixed a dog who was injured by a yote. out here in the Vegas area, at least once every two weeks or so, the news has a reporting of coyotes taking small little dogs away from the elderly people walking them. At night, they seem to be all over the golf courses out here.....I've even seen them just walking down the city roads!

I live in up state ny about an hour from Canadian border lots of yotes the coyotes ran my 30 pound collie for a day half trying to kill it a miracle he lived I got him back miles from home I shot 16 yotes nrver put a dent in them . the nanny state has a season not sure why but they will kill house pets at ease

Well, gonna go out Friday morning and evening and give it a go. I can do a decent rabbit distress, and ki-yi pup distress, so that's what I'm gonna go with. I got storm damage last week on my brand new weather station, so I'll do the old "lick my finger" wind test and set up accordingly.

Between my ground, and neighbors grounds, I have about 150 acres that I can hunt, so I'm gonna make 3, maybe 4 sets. Maybe more ??? The terrain would make a billy goat puke, and is extremely brushy, so I think I can call one side of a ridge, and then set up on the other side, and call again.

That's my plan, and I'm stickin to it ....... Unless you guys help change my mind, lol.

What's the worst that can happen ? I scare a few away for awhile ?

I'll photo document my virgin coyote hunt, and win, loose, or draw, I'll post some pics, and tell a story.

NO MERCY.

Last edited:
We have an inner fence with an electronic fence the dogs won't cross, and outer pasture fences that the coyotes have to dig under. The dogs set up a ruckus when coyotes are around and I go out and shoot them.

The breeder I got my Airedale from told me not to let a single get attacked by multiples or he's toast,this is what coyotes do when there are lots of them. Our other dog is a lean tall 85 pound German Shorthair old school Lab mix that is a scrapper, but I do not want them chasing out into a pack of ten coyotes, that would be bad.

The other trick these things have is to send a female in to entice a male to follow where the rest of the pack is waiting. I shot a female that was doing that with a .22 at about 140 yards, it yelped and ran over behind the little rise where the rest were waiting, and by the sounds of it they killed her because she was wounded.

I'd say if you leave your dogs out in an unfenced area they may be toast. Coyotes like dogs.

Back