Homemade Case Spray Lube Recipe

Lanolin is used when making your own bullets, usually a mixture of lanolin and caster oil. Berger I think uses only lanolin. Only about 2 grains of lube is used to core seat 1000 jackets. But, it is not easily removed completely, solvent is used to clean the bullets.

If I were working on hundreds of cases at one time, I would use this spray, the small amount of lanolin shouldn't pose a problem.

I load at the range when attending matches. I use RCBS Case Lube II, water based, and a pad. I clean the case with 0000 steel wool, and lay 10 to 15 cases on the pad and roll with the palm of my hand, then resize. Wipes right off with a paper towel.

When I first started loading I tried almost everything and for case lube, finally settled on One Shot. It works great with my wooden loading blocks. The logical next step was to figure out what that stuff is made from. The lanolin & 99% ISO is a great replacement for it. I'll never need to buy more case lube and I have enough stuff in stock to make more.

Originally Posted By: CastWhen I first started loading I tried almost everything and for case lube, finally settled on One Shot. It works great with my wooden loading blocks. The logical next step was to figure out what that stuff is made from. The lanolin & 99% ISO is a great replacement for it. I'll never need to buy more case lube and I have enough stuff in stock to make more.

one shot is not lanolin based. its Dynaglide based.

it doesnt build up like lanolin mixes do, and its nigh on impossible to over-lube with the stuff like it is with lanolin.

the ONLY time i've ever managed to dimple case shoulders was when i was testing out lanolin based stuff. plus it left a sticky mess in my dies. Yick!

i still have a bottle of lanolin based mix i keep around, but i hold onto it for resizing the .310 zmax into .308 bullets for my blackout
thumbup1.gif

I was making my own from lanolin and alcohol however my kid stole my lanolin for her skin,so I've been using spray vegetable oil from the grocery store. Cheap as heck and works great

The best case lube i have ever used and i have tried a hundred different store bought and homemade lubes, is plain old chapstick, hanging in every checkout counter in every store. i even made a little holder so it stands up right next to my press, take the cap off, rub 2 fingers across the top of the chapstick and run arond the case a second, i have a q-tip with some on it that i roll around in the neck of the case and in the die it goes, works everytime, no dents ever, no stuck cases ever, slides up in the die like greased lighting. Then hot water and dawn dish soap rinse and slosh and dry. My search is over, for a hundred cases you don't even use a 1/8 of an inch of chapstick, it syays on your fingers for several cases, a little on the neck, non on the shoulder and some on the case, awesome stuff, .39 cents will maybe do a thousand cases.

I started using this mixture and it works very well. I had one thing happen that was a little unusual. I had a batch of brass fresh out of the tumbler and sprayed it down with the mix. I had stuff to do so I let it set over night. The next day, I had dark stains all over my freshly tumbled brass. I ended up running it through the tumbler again to shine it back up. Other than that, it works very well.

been using the home made recipe for a while, when I expand necks I stand the case's upright and do a light spay down into the necks.

I recently tried the lee paste in alcohol. It does separate, but a quick shake is all it takes. I put one tube in 16 oz. of 91% isopropyl alcohol, mix and spray onto cases. Dries kind of powdery, works well, easy to wipe off. I've processed close to 1000 cases with it, used about 3 oz. of the mixture.

The lanolin I use is liquid. There is a very small rato of liquid lanolin to 99% isopropyl. I spray the cases and seat the bullets, the spray evaporates and leaves dry little lanolin. It's good for your skin. I don't even wipe them after loading, they go in the ammo box. I never notice anything remaining on them at the range, and I go from bench to range.

coconut oil is the best use very sparingly I just lubed a thousand cases and set them aside. For sizing later. Just a drop or two on your hand. Rub hands together, roll cases between hands, Viola never a stuck case. Try it you will like it. It is about 4 bucks a quart at grocery store. it is solid to 76 degrees and then it melts. Can be used liquid or solid.

Dave

Last edited:
I used the lanolin mix for the first time yesterday. It worked pretty good but it was a pita to remove it in the SS media tumbler.. If anyone is using a SS media tumbler and having a tough time getting the lanolin off, try Woolite laundry detergent. My normal dawn and lemishine didn't do anything to the lanolin except coat everything in a nasty mess. I tried everything I had in the house (simple green, All detergent, dawn, and lemishine) and some helped but NOTHING worked like a little Woolite in the tumbler.

I don't understand the reason for making your own formula for sizing lube. Even the most expensive stuff, is it really that expensive? Is it really a better lube? How do you know?

Back