Winchester 12ga varmint x ?

I am also waiting for someone to take the lead on this. I just tried their long beard XR and was amazed. I was just getting ready to get some new choke tubes when I saw this was on the market. I think I might wait now until I get my hands on some of this.

Had my local gunshop order a box of these this week. Hopefully they'll be in soon. I'll post share my findings on here if you like. I'll also compare them to any other similar loads if I can find them. I'm hoping to find some of the Hornady coyote shells and don't know of any other lead BB loads. Are there any other available on the market?

I haven't figured out the secret to the hornady load yet. 3 guns and 9 chokes later i am still scratching my head. From cylinder to turkey choke i couldn't get a decent 40 yard pattern out of them. Berretta with a big game patternmaster worked best and your not even supposed to use wad stripping chokes with it. Barely a 40 yard combination.
Some of the guys here are getting it to work. Maybe they will pipe up.
I look forward to your review of the ww stuff. I will do the same if I can get my hands on some.

Originally Posted By: TwistrateI haven't figured out the secret to the hornady load yet. 3 guns and 9 chokes later i am still scratching my head. From cylinder to turkey choke i couldn't get a decent 40 yard pattern out of them. Berretta with a big game patternmaster worked best and your not even supposed to use wad stripping chokes with it. Barely a 40 yard combination.
Some of the guys here are getting it to work. Maybe they will pipe up.
I look forward to your review of the ww stuff. I will do the same if I can get my hands on some.

What is the rule of thumb when deciding if a load is sufficient? I know with turkeys it is 100 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds. But that's also with a shell containing a lot more pellets.

There's a sticky in the firearms section that can help you decide what is right for you.
I'm no expert by any means but I kill most of my coyotes with a shotgun and if I can get more than a dozen 4 buck in a10" circle at forty yards I'm starting to smile. 5 #4 buck in a 10" circle at 60 yards and I am really happy. I just up the pellet count with bb.

Originally Posted By: Marcl84Had my local gunshop order a box of these this week. Hopefully they'll be in soon. I'll post share my findings on here if you like. I'll also compare them to any other similar loads if I can find them. I'm hoping to find some of the Hornady coyote shells and don't know of any other lead BB loads. Are there any other available on the market?

i bought a case of these https://www.natchezss.com/federal-premium-wing-shok-magnum-92943.html a while back. they are copped plated lead BB. have had excellent results using them on called coyotes. a case of the ammo is way more than i need. i would probably sell 1 or 2 boxes if you are interested in trying them.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Marcl84Had my local gunshop order a box of these this week. Hopefully they'll be in soon. I'll post share my findings on here if you like. I'll also compare them to any other similar loads if I can find them. I'm hoping to find some of the Hornady coyote shells and don't know of any other lead BB loads. Are there any other available on the market?

i bought a case of these https://www.natchezss.com/federal-premium-wing-shok-magnum-92943.html a while back. they are copped plated lead BB. have had excellent results using them on called coyotes. a case of the ammo is way more than i need. i would probably sell 1 or 2 boxes if you are interested in trying them.

Depending on the price I will take a box or two. I would like to compare them to the Winchester load.

The Federal 1-7/8 oz lead BB load should have around 18 more lead BB pellets per shell than the lead BB 1-1/2 oz loads have per shell.

Got to shoot one of the Varmint X loads through my Mossberg 835 using a .680 turkey choke. My buddy put one through his Benelli M1 using a .665 Turkey Choke. These shells seem to like being choked hard.

Mossberg= 29 hits
Benelli= 42 hits

Both were shot at 40yds and measured in a 10" circle.

Originally Posted By: Twistrate42 bb's in a 10" circle at 40 yards is insane. Sounds like a load a guy can definitely taylor to suit his needs

I agree. We are suppose to shoot again tomorrow. If we do I'm going to take my 11-87 and see how tight this shell can be choked. I was happy with the 29 BBs and 13 #4 buckshot that my old 835 put up. But we'll find out more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marcl84Originally Posted By: Twistrate42 bb's in a 10" circle at 40 yards is insane. Sounds like a load a guy can definitely taylor to suit his needs

I agree. We are suppose to shoot again tomorrow. If we do I'm going to take my 11-87 and see how tight this shell can be choked. I was happy with the 29 BBs and 13 #4 buckshot that my old 835 put up. But we'll find out more tomorrow.

Interesting. Remember that the Benelli's factory are not overbored, but the 835's are. A .680 choke from an 835 would be about .095 restriction - ~.775 bore - .680 choke = .095. The Benelli would be around .729 - .665 = .064 restriction........less restriction is actually helping you here with BB size shot I would guess.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1751331

Mike B,

I didn't even think about the bore differences. I knew the Mossberg was over bored, but I didn't think about the difference and how much the chokes were different. I was planning on shooting several chokes tomorrow starting with a .680 and working my way down in the Remington. If I can find a factory full ill start there, but don't know if I have one.

Originally Posted By: Marcl84Got to shoot one of the Varmint X loads through my Mossberg 835 using a .680 turkey choke. My buddy put one through his Benelli M1 using a .665 Turkey Choke. These shells seem to like being choked hard.

Mossberg= 29 hits
Benelli= 42 hits

Both were shot at 40yds and measured in a 10" circle.

Depending on what the two above 10" patterns look like, I may prefer the 29 hits in a 10" circle.

Most of the coyotes I shoot with a shotgun are under 40 yards away and at least half of those coyotes are running when they get shot.

As long as the pattern is dense enough at 40 yards I would rather have a 18" wide killing pattern over a 12" wide killing pattern. Trying to hit a coyote running at full speed is just like trying to hit a bird that is flying by at 40 mph.

Just so I could see what 29 hits to 42 hits looks like I made up a even 10" pattern with 32 hits on it. I know we will never get a pattern this even but it does give a pretty good view of what 32 hits look like in a 10" circle.
2016-05-07%2010.48.13.jpg

In this 10" pattern with 32 hits on it pretty much anywhere you put a 5" circle inside the 10" circle there will be 7 hits inside the 5" circle.

If the pattern you got with 29 hits inside the 10" circle has a dense pattern that is 4" wider than the pattern with 42 hits in the 10" circle I would rather use the 4" wider pattern.

IMG_0316.jpg

The above pattern was shot with a 3" Remington Wingmaster HD 1-1/2 oz BB load and it has 32 hits in a 12" circle. This load is one of the best coyote shotgun loads I have ever used. This pattern looks to be about 16" wide in places.

If you are going to be shooting running coyotes at less than 40 yards you may not want your shotgun to shoot like a rifle.

It would be cool to shoot a 1" thick catalog at 40 yards with a Winchester Varmint X BB load and a Hornady Heavy Magnum nickel plated BB load to see which BB load penetrates the deepest into the same catalog.

In the past I have centered the 1" thick catalog on the back of the pattern paper so when I shoot one shell I got to see the pattern and check the penetration with one shot.

Got to shoot the 11-87 today. I had recently acquired a Primos Dead Dog choke for this gun. So I installed the primos choke and shot one of the Winchester Varmint X shells. 40 yds and the pattern was excellent. 32 holes in a 8" circle with even distribution. You'll have to zoom in to see the patterns.

Now compare that to the 29 that I got in a 10" from the 835 the other day.

Both chokes were .680. I'm looking for a .710 to run in the 835 to see if opening up will help.

Back