Reloading 6x45

Brownie

Alright guys picking up a 6x45 tomorrow and had a couple questions. Do you have to cut the neck off like you do the 300 BO or is it just a matter of expanding the neck? Is there any special process to necking up to avoid issues??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrownieThanks Greg I'll check it out

I suspect there are more 6X45's on this board than the number of mosquitoes on a Wisconsin lake in July. The knowledge base here is as deep as any on the net and the best thing is no one here is trying to make it shoot like a 243 Winchester.

Ask away if you have questions.

Greg

The only issue I ever ran into was a set of RCBS dies and the stubby expander ball. I switched it for a longer tapered expander and no more crushed necks. I now use Redding and their ball is more triangular and works well. Loading for a 6X45 is a simple as it gets.

H335 and IMR 8208 XBR are your friend in this cartridge, IME.

That's good to hear I have 3lbs of xbr I had for a Grendel that I got rid of because SD did a hack job on my upper and wouldn't shoot worth a hoot. Guess now I'll finally get to out it to good use

Yup the 85g SGKHP is one of my favorites in my 6mms.
Ive taken 9 antelope with that bullet in my 6x45s from 80-344 yards all I shot.

Originally Posted By: BrownieWhAt powder are you guys using for the 85s
My go to powder is H335 for 55-95g bullets.
X-terminator & aa2230 is as good for all weights.

I get the same results with either H4895 or Varget. Using the same weight powder charge in either powder, both shoot the same POI. Strange isn't it ?

Originally Posted By: bump8208xbr has been my go to powder for a variety of bullets from 65 to 75 grains in the 6x45. 26.0 to 26.5 grains.

How long a barrel and what kind of speeds are you seeing from the 75's with that charge?

I have never chronographed my 6x45 so not 100% sure what speed it is. Assuming it's in the 3000 fps range.
I know it sure thumps coyotes hard.
It has a 20" 1/8 twist barrel.

Back