How to keep bolt closed longer

I hope I don't have to slow my 32s down to 3700.. I bought a 22 inch barrel for speed.. I wanted to go at least 3700 with 39s and my 35 at 3800+ and the 32s just under 4000.. If wanted to go slower I would of bought a 18 to 20 inch barrel.. The 204 is about speed and shooting flat is the reason I purchased them.. I will try to find a node around 3700 for the 40 grainers..

if your chrony is right you are getting same speeds as most manuals list for 24" barrel bolt gun , & you with a 22"ar that should tell you something. your loads are hot, and you may have a chamber problem.

Originally Posted By: dan158I hope I don't have to slow my 32s down to 3700.. I bought a 22 inch barrel for speed.. I wanted to go at least 3700 with 39s and my 35 at 3800+ and the 32s just under 4000.. If wanted to go slower I would of bought a 18 to 20 inch barrel.. The 204 is about speed and shooting flat is the reason I purchased them.. I will try to find a node around 3700 for the 40 grainers..

every barrel is different. i said my barrel happens to shine at 3700 with 32gr vmax. Its MOA or better pretty much from min to max loads and shoots 3/4 MOA at 4000 FPS and is sub MOA at 200 yds with factory 32 grainer's.

your barrel by its nature is going to be different than mine and every other one out there. The unique snowflake syndrome and all that. i have NO idea what FPS your barrel is going to be most accurate at. only you can find that out. even two barrels made by the same MFG and stamped with the same twist rate (lests say 1:12) are likely going to have twist variations in them... one may be 1:11.75 and the next may be 1:12.25 just as an example..

Your AR load and your bolt gun load are likely going to be two completely different loads due to the machining differences in both the chamber and the rifling.

my point is - your load for 40s as it sits are too hot and you need to tone them down a bit. you'll have to find a balance between accuracy and loads that are not pushing the edge of max pressure.

as suggested in the other thread annealing will help brass life - however if you continue to load them this hot you're not going to see good brass life no matter what else you do. re-work your ladder, watch for an accuracy node thats not boogering up your brass and cratering your primers and go with it.

Back