Muzzle devices for hunting purpose

NEfurtaker

Wrapping up my first build for a daytime calling rifle and still need to figure out what to screw on the end of my barrel.

Right now, a suppressor (sadly) is out of the question. Would like to get one in the future, but for now have been trying to figure out what is best.

I have looked at the JAL Linear Compensator here JAL Lineal device 5.56

What are you guys using on your coyote guns. Looking for something to keep flash down for better follow up shots while looking thru scope, and also anything to keep noise away from shooter. Recoil isn't much of a worry with the 5.56 round.

Suggestions?

I have a suppressor now, but used to use a Kaw Valley Precision linear comp from Joebob Outfitters and loved it. It helped direct the blast downrange.

Originally Posted By: roky0702I have a suppressor now, but used to use a Kaw Valley Precision linear comp from Joebob Outfitters and loved it. It helped direct the blast downrange.

Yup! The Kaw Valley Precision Linear Comps are great for hunting. Obviously they won't muffle the noise like a suppressor, but it will be much quieter at the shooter's ear.

I have 2. Going to a suppressor and have put on flash hiders as am only night hunting now. Let me know if you are interested.

take a look at a S.T.D. they're a nice liner flash hider. really do a nice job.

https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices/

he sells direct on amazon
http://amzn.com/B00K0213SG

i've got two of them on my blackout's and one on my 16" AR. my 20" will only wear the can and a thread protector due to barrel profile. if and when he releases the non-knurled version in satin i might put one on my stainless barrel in lieu of a thread protector. since they require no crush washer or indexing they work great for guns that may see suppressor use as they double as thread/muzzle protectors as well as excellent flash hiders.

Love my surefire MB556K, shooting anything without it just seems like it has excessive recoil and muzzle rise. Works great. Definitely spits fire but i've never noticed it through the scope as you had mentioned.

For "better follow up shots" i'd think you'd want a muzzle brake not a flash hider. Gun doesn't move and you can keep your sight picture the whole time.

Like my Surefire brakes to, but limit my use of them on my hunting rifles. Great on my competition AR's. Make for quicker follow up shots but a LOT louder and plenty of concussion out the sides. Anyone to the side of you is not going to like it and you better have ear protection.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onetake a look at a S.T.D. they're a nice liner flash hider. really do a nice job.

i've got two of them on my blackout's and one on my 16" AR. my 20" will only wear the can and a thread protector due to barrel profile. if and when he releases the non-knurled version in satin i might put one on my stainless barrel in lieu of a thread protector. since they require no crush washer or indexing they work great for guns that may see suppressor use as they double as thread/muzzle protectors as well as excellent flash hiders.

Those look really nice, and I do enjoy supporting the regular "working man". Like the simplistic design and none of that tacticool crap.

Thanks for the tip Plant!

+1.Kaw Valley comp saves my ears.
Originally Posted By: roky0702I have a suppressor now, but used to use a Kaw Valley Precision linear comp from Joebob Outfitters and loved it. It helped direct the blast downrange.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bail+1.Kaw Valley comp saves my ears.

I ended up with a Kaw Valley piece from a fellow member here. Haven't shot it yet, saving pennies for optic/mount.

Originally Posted By: CARTER LAKE-SHARKKaw valley here also. From Joe Bobs. My question is,are linear comps more quiet than say a thread protector?

At the shooter's ear, yes, they generally are

Originally Posted By: NEfurtakerOriginally Posted By: Plant.Onetake a look at a S.T.D. they're a nice liner flash hider. really do a nice job.

Those look really nice, and I do enjoy supporting the regular "working man". Like the simplistic design and none of that tacticool crap.

Thanks for the tip Plant!

glad to help!

jim makes a really nice product - and the low light comparison really makes them shine.

i did some at dusk testing last summer with both the 30 caliber (on my blackout) and the 5.56 one on my 16" bushmaster and the with/without comparison on muzzle flash was incredible.

I'm looking into linear comps as well. I built my first AR early this year and fired it twice in succession at my hunting camp without ear protection. I was curious to see how bad the blast would be in a hunting situation. My ears rang for hours, even from an 18 inch barrel. If the linear comp makes the shot more comfortable for the shooter when hunting, it is worth the investment.

Last edited:
Muzzle devices seem to be a fashion accessory these days, so most shooters don't ever ask themselves this question:

Does my application dictate a muzzle device?

If your answer is "no," but you have a threaded barrel, buy a thread protector[/b].

If your answer to that question is "yes," ask yourself the following questions:

Which type of device does my application dictate? Answered by asking yourself these questions:

[*]Are you wanting recoil reduction? Put on a brake.[*]Are you wanting to reduce muzzle climb? Brake[*]Are you trying to hide your signature from the enemy? Put on a flash hider.[*]Are you looking for sound suppression? Buy a can.[*]Are you looking for a fashion accessory? Buy whatever catches your eye.[*]Are you wanting volume at the shooter to reduce? Linear compensator or fire pig.[/list]

Answer those questions for yourself and you'll have your answer for which type you should look at, and then you can ask yourself:

Which brand of this type of muzzle device is best for me?

Which is largely dependent upon personal taste, and budgetary tolerance. My budget and personal preference fit the following list:

[*]Aesthetic - PRI Quiet Control Brake & Stoner Helio port are the only aesthetic devices I've bought[*]Brake - Holland QD, Vais, KDF, PRI QC.[*]Linear Comp - Kies, Levang, Kaw Valley[*]Fire Pig - Kies & Noveske[*]Suppressor - OSS & TBAC[*]Flash hider - Take your pick, most work as intended, but I seldom have to worry about return fire from someone seeing my signature...[/list]

Back