Recommendations for a new set of truck tires....

Dropadoglv

I need a new set of tires on my 2009 Dodge 3500 crew diesel. I'm running the Toyo 35X12.50X17 mud terrains. This truck just turned 40k miles and this is my third set of the same tires. Truck has no problems as for unusual wear. Speaking with others, all have said the same, they never get more than 8-10k miles per set. Was looking for the same size, but a different make. Any suggestions and experience with other makes would greatly be appreciated. Need load range "E". Thanks...

Nitto Trail Grapplers.

They have wore very good for me. Not really that loud on pavement considering, go like a champ in the snow, clean nicely in the mud.

Last winter in about 14" snow my F150 super crew with the trail Grapplers went when my father in laws dodge crew cab 2500 wouldn't with BFG mud terrain. Actually pulled him up the road twice.

I don't go "mudding" but have no problems driving up a fairly steep grade in the pasture field on a wet muddy tractor path with them.

My brother in law has them on a 2015 Toyota Tundra crew cab. Daily driver to work about 20 miles each direction on a 4 lane and he's experienced very good tread wear also.

I'm running BFG KO2 all terrains on my f350. New so I can't say first hand on milage but the ford dealer said they were seeing 50-60k on them. Of course, how you use them will vary the milage.

Currently, on my various rigs, running KO2's, KM2's, Duratracs, KO's and some Kumho AT's. Have in the past run the Toyo's, Falken's and the Nitto's. And many others.

For my money, unless you really need or want a mud tire, the KO2's are a good way to go.

If you do want to run Duratracs, make sure they are a load range E. They have a three ply sidewall and are fairly tough. The load D are a two ply and I've seen more of them with shredded sidewalls than any other current AT.

The Falken's were a really good bang for the buck, can't complain about the performance and the wear I got out of them on my 100 series LC. But, I got sick of looking at them, they lasted so long
laugh.gif
. Replaced them with the KO2's and just all around happy with them. When the Duratracs on my truck are ready to be replaced, it will be getting KO2's. Ditto for the Denali currently running KO's. The Jeeps get mudders though, KM2's for now.

- DAA

I just priced a set of 20" BFG KO2 for my Dodge Ram and they were sure proud of them - $330 per tire. They are great tires, I've used the first generation a couple times in the past but it seems they've taken quite a jump in price.

Best advice you are going to get on the online TireRack site, enter in your size and start reading performance reviews. They are ranked in performance order and it ranks things like wear factor, noise level, fuel efficiency, as well as dry road, wet road, mud, snow.

Last year I got a new set for both cars, and there is a whole new breed of tires coming onto the market that are wearing better than ever before, and even though they have higher wear factors and warranties they are at the top of the performance heap as well. I've had the top of the heap I've been buying for ten years and those are all out the window with new best performers, and surprisingly they are some of the lower priced tires. I love it when a Michelin or Pirelli is $300+ a pop and a tire that is a better performer costs half as much. The best in class wet road tire that I got for my wife's CRV AWD has an 80k mileage, the truck tires are 50k even though they are the #1 mud/snow tire. They are Firestones, and you can forget whatever Firestones were in the past, they have been doing their development work for sure.

Tires are evolving at too fast a rate to stick to brand loyalty anymore, every year sees new performance leaders.

Originally Posted By: GCI just priced a set of 20" BFG KO2 for my Dodge Ram and they were sure proud of them - $330 per tire. They are great tires, I've used the first generation a couple times in the past but it seems they've taken quite a jump in price.

Yeah, they are proud of them, for sure. Seems the 20's run even higher, too. My truck has 20's as well - wish it didn't, but I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on good quality aftermarket 17's, as the 20's it came with are forged, very high quality. Just hate the lack of sidewall with 20's. Especially with only 34" tires. My truck doesn't see any real serious offroad use though. Lots of dirt road, but not much heavy rock work or anything like that.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: GCI just priced a set of 20" BFG KO2 for my Dodge Ram and they were sure proud of them - $330 per tire. They are great tires, I've used the first generation a couple times in the past but it seems they've taken quite a jump in price.

Yeah, they are proud of them, for sure. Seems the 20's run even higher, too. My truck has 20's as well - wish it didn't, but I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on good quality aftermarket 17's, as the 20's it came with are forged, very high quality. Just hate the lack of sidewall with 20's. Especially with only 34" tires. My truck doesn't see any real serious offroad use though. Lots of dirt road, but not much heavy rock work or anything like that.

- DAA I run the BFG KO2's on my hunt rig. Just recently got them, so not much feed back! They are in LT 285/70/17. Much smaller than the 35's. I've been on line looking: kinda of like the mud terrain look, not worried about road noise as my diesel is heIIa loud anyways......

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: GCI just priced a set of 20" BFG KO2 for my Dodge Ram and they were sure proud of them - $330 per tire. They are great tires, I've used the first generation a couple times in the past but it seems they've taken quite a jump in price.

- DAA

My hunting ground has sharp jagged rock and plenty of sharp stobs left over from logging operations. I did a tire in a few years ago in a steep tight turn with sharp hard rock edges along the trail. It was one of those deals where there was no going back. Shouldn't have had a Quad Cab 4x4 up there in the first place. But you know how that goes...

Originally Posted By: GC Shouldn't have had a Quad Cab 4x4 up there in the first place. But you know how that goes...

Yes, yes I do, I know just how that goes. I've seen me do it...

- DAA

Seems there are many of the larger, wider truck tires in use now. Much depends on where you live and the assessment of how the truck is used. Even though I use our truck in the bush, when the going gets really rough I'm usually on foot or an ATV.

That means I don't need the most aggressive monster mudders made for trucks. I also appreciate a fairly quiet ride and longer tread life. You have a heavy truck, but 3 sets in 40k miles seems excessive. I guess I wouldn't get front row parking at the monster truck rally.

A tire as simple as a Firestone 'Destination LE' or the more aggressive 'Destination AT' is plenty for me. I've had great results with some of the Michelin offerings too. I have used tire rack a few times, good for research too.

We live in some TOUGH country for tires. My wifes uncle was QC for Michelin for many years. The 2 problem areas in the world for them (according to him) were the flint hills and glass factories. The best wearing tires I have found are Cooper Discoverer STT. I've tried Mastercrafts, Toyos, Yokohama, and Hankooks. The coopers were by far the best in my experience. We probably run 60% gravel and 40 highway. I assume your running a dually, which are even harder to keep back tires on. If your not going in a straight line one has to be slipping at least a little.

Hankook Dynapro... only mud tire I've ever seen go for more than 20k miles and wear perfectly. They arnt badly priced, my buddy has then on his bronco, they are pretty beefy lookin' and they handle snow, ice, and mud especially just great. I've seen him handle mud in that bronco better than any set of Nitto. Wether anybody wants to admit it, yes the weight of your vehicle is alot of it, but put two identical trucks together, it comes down to the tires and I'd want Dynapro's on mine. Or a good set of 42" military tires but they don't look as good. But this is all purely if you want the aggressive (manly) mud tire look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flintrock We live in some TOUGH country for tires. My wifes uncle was QC for Michelin for many years. The 2 problem areas in the world for them (according to him) were the flint hills and glass factories. The best wearing tires I have found are Cooper Discoverer STT. I've tried Mastercrafts, Toyos, Yokohama, and Hankooks. The coopers were by far the best in my experience. We probably run 60% gravel and 40 highway. I assume your running a dually, which are even harder to keep back tires on. If your not going in a straight line one has to be slipping at least a little.

Agreed, for a pavement/gravel tire Cooper is top dog.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 Seems there are many of the larger, wider truck tires in use now. Much depends on where you live and the assessment of how the truck is used. Even though I use our truck in the bush, when the going gets really rough I'm usually on foot or an ATV.

That means I don't need the most aggressive monster mudders made for trucks. I also appreciate a fairly quiet ride and longer tread life. You have a heavy truck, but 3 sets in 40k miles seems excessive. I guess I wouldn't get front row parking at the monster truck rally.

A tire as simple as a Firestone 'Destination LE' or the more aggressive 'Destination AT' is plenty for me. I've had great results with some of the Michelin offerings too. I have used tire rack a few times, good for research too.

It's the Destination A/T I got, it's an outstanding tire.

Originally Posted By: borkonGeneral Grabbers........poor mans BFG's Actually I heard those were great tires, I do like so far those patriot tires! I believe they are outta of Utah...and were on the TV show called "diesel Brothers"....could be wrong?

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: borkonGeneral Grabbers........poor mans BFG's Actually I heard those were great tires, I do like so far those patriot tires! I believe they are outta of Utah...and were on the TV show called "diesel Brothers"....could be wrong?

Correct.

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: DropadoglvOriginally Posted By: borkonGeneral Grabbers........poor mans BFG's Actually I heard those were great tires, I do like so far those patriot tires! I believe they are outta of Utah...and were on the TV show called "diesel Brothers"....could be wrong?

Correct. Thanks L.....I'm going with those, ratings look great! I hope that 37's will fit? I need to call and find out. Truck is stock height with only a 2" leveling kit....idk

Back