trap line dog

shawn@mo

This may not be the place that has most interest in trapping but can anyone inform me what a trap line dog does and how to train?? Is it just territory marking and companionship or is there more to this??

Boy, us Missouri boys don't know nothing !

I have a similar question about decoy dogs. What exactly do they do ? Don't mean to take over thread, but maybe someone could explain both Shawn's and my inquiry in one thread.

Mine find locations I never see by marking, trail animals caught on drags thus saving you time and energy. I pull another trap and drag out and start resetting while the dog locates what I have caught. Once bayed up go to them dispatch and down the road we go, also give me a heads up by growling at cows, horses or illegals that come up behind you. They also do provide companionship while on the line.

Training is just laying drags down and making them work the trail out. Start out easy and slowly make it harder. They must be broke of stock as well. Mt dogs need to do it all from decoy,denning and trapline work. Some are better than others but they can all get thru it. Alot of time and effort when they are young pays off over the long haul.

Brent

I have watched decoy dogs, all I see they do is when you call in a yote they go out to get the yote to chase them and bring them in closer. Its neat look up tony temme predator university on YouTube he has decoy dogs. Your land maybe a little flatter then mine, but I dont believe it will do me much good due to where I hunt when you see a yote its time to pull a trigger.

Last edited:
IMO, decoy dogs do a lot more than that. I was fortunate enough to hunt with Jerry Hunsley and his great decoy dog, Wiley. He did all kinds of cool stuff to help you succeed, including blood trailing a wounded coyote.

Ya lol blood trailing I thought was a given lol.. im sure they do more then just pull yotes in, I just see the basics and action on the ol yYouTube..

Shawn, if you asking about trapline dogs or coyotes, Brent knows W.T.F. he is talking about. He does it for a paycheck and keeps getting rehired. I would listen to him over TT any day of the week.

Be cautious about who you get advice from or ask questions. You don't want to talk to someone that will only tell you what you want to hear and then try to sell you a pup that should have great potential. I think that's still the phrase, great potential. All the responses on this thread are from solid, reliable guys and very accurate.

Yep Scott, stay away from those who help you because they want to sell you something. Also look at what they do, that speaks louder than any words.

Well I already have a buddy that is going to breed his mnt.cur so I already have a dog wont be buying from anyone, so wont do much good to try and sell.

Well here we go, buddy called and said he came home to two dogs tied up, he said they will go cheap I could have 1 2 or 4. Lol. Full blooded mnt.curs here we go ill try raising one atleaste once. So mid August ill have my line dog. Hope there is a brindle male. So anyone close needs a pup maybe able to hook you up lol.

Hi new to the forum saw this and want to ask the guys that use dogs on the trap line the two parts I can't figure out is some claiming that the dog shows them were thee is sine of coyote and fox if any of you do it is it something that you had to work on with them or something they do their self the other was tracking some games to the dens such as beaver mink and polecat has anyone ever heard of this

If you have a male Jon I believe ginfing signg comess natural, where ever they hike there legs and mark thier terrtiory is a yote, fox, or dog who knows but there was something

That was what I thought but was not sure the other part is dogs tracking game to the dens and how you would get one to work like that

A good dog can be advantageous on the trapline as far as finding sign, critters on drags etc....but inmy opinion their best asset is their companionship, and it's always fun to watch their excitement over a yote in a trap.

Back