New Here- Looking for Good Varmint Hunting Spots/Vacations

Hi,
I am new here so just introducing myself and generally asking some questions about where I can find good trips to do with my dad. I grew up in Northeast Ohio and went to high school in Pittsburgh area. Growing up we went "hog hunting" aka groundhogs nearly every night. We would take our guns to my youth baseball practice and as soon as it was over hit the fields and dirt roads looking for them. In Ohio in the 1980s we could shoot 5 groundhogs a day easy, and see plenty more at all sorts of ranges. It was such a blast doing this with my dad growing up. He loves to reload and tinker with guns,scopes, triggers, stocks, etc. When we moved to Pittsburgh it was not as good, but we eventually found some farms, powerlines, and other private property that we could regularly see hogs. After graduating and leaving home, it was the highlite of most of my trips visiting home for us to go groundhog hunting. In the past 10 years or so, it seems the groundhogs have vanished!! I mean it is harder to find them, which we've heard is from the coyotes. As well many places we used to go have been built up with new businesses or homes, or just been blocked off and overgrown. It is sad actually that we no longer really can spend a day groundhog hunting...its more like we just walk or drive around some of the old stomping grounds and reminisce.

So I live in CA and my dad is still in PA, He is 71 now, and I want to maximize taking hunting trips while he is still healthy and able. He used to get Varmint Hunter magazine which had ads for places to go in the Dakotas and out west. He always talked about it but we never had the time, and he does love bear hunting in Canada so that is what we have been doing the past few years. Next year he will be retired and I am very flexible with my schedule, so I want to find out where some good hunting groups and/or guide services are for prairie dogs and possible prairie dog combo with coyote hunting trips are. The Dakotas would be driveable, which I think he would prefer to flying all the way out west and be worried about his guns on the plane hah.

Any suggestions on how to go about researching prairie dog hunts/guides, or specific experience of some great places/people to connect with in the Dakotas possibly?

Thanks so much for any feedback. Growing up hunting with my dad and friends are some of the best memories of my life. I am so thankful to still be really close to my dad, and him always being so eager to go hunting or shooting when I come home. It keeps him going. Hence if I can start planning some trips now for next year, once we get done with our bear hunt in Canada the week after next, he can start daydreaming and planning for the next hunting trip!! Father and son hunting is sacred, this country needs to not let those experiences dwindle away.

I can highly recommend going on a sage rat hunt near Burns Oregon. You will be able to shoot thousands of rounds a day, targets much smaller than pdogs.

Yes on the Northern Cali. squirrel shooting it's good thing to do with your Dad.

I'm the Dad and take my 47 year old son every year.

Cedarville up in Modoc county is full of beldings ground squirrels..
Farmers pretty much will let you shoot them till your hearts content. Just stop in and ask a farmer.
They are 1/3 the size of pdogs and as fun to shoot all day long.

Back