My daughter's second pig

Switch

I have some access to some property out here in CA that holds pigs. Last year, my daughter Alyssa killed her first pig out there and she's been anxious to get back out after them.

As far as pigs, we've had a few opportunities this season, but unfortunately they have slipped away and we hadn't put a pig on the ground yet. That all changed this last Saturday.

We decided to head out last weekend and check on a pig bed we had located last month. When we first found this bed, we kicked up several large boars and they escaped into the hills unscathed. On this trip, Alyssa really wanted to check the area out again.

The bed is a bit tough to get to, but she was game. We hiked about 45-minutes uphill and peaked over the saddle and spotted the bed. From a distance we couldn't see any fresh sign surrounding the area, but we were already there.

Alyssa hiked to a small hill overlooking the bed and set up. She was about 90-yards away and would be in a perfect position if anything excited that side of the brush. I loaded the 30-30 and hiked in. Starting at the top, I hiked around the outside of the bed. I didn't see any fresh tracks, but it had rained the evening before so that didn't mean much. The wind was terrible and swirling in all directions. I wasn't hopeful that I'd be able to sneak up on anything. When I got to the back side, I looked over and gave Alyssa the thumbs up, she returned the sign and I kept hiking. At the bottom of the bed, I cut a very fresh set of tracks leading into the bed. I stopped and took two steps back. Suddenly, the brush eight feet in front of me started thrashing violently. I yelled "PIG" so Alyssa knew one was coming.

I ran up to the side of the bed since I had no shot from where I was. I spotted Alyssa looking down toward the bottom. All of a sudden the boar appeared running as fast as the animal could run straight away from me and broadside to where Alyssa was set up. I found him in the scope and put one in his rear with the copper bullet at 80-yards. I jacked another round and put another in his back, right next to his spine as he headed uphill. I watched Alyssa drop her sticks, stand and track the running pig. She fired one shot and I watched the boar twitch right before he disappeared over the next hill.

Alyssa was closer, so I told her to head over and look for blood. I walked down to where I had kicked the pig up. His running tracks where easy to see in the wet earth. I was searching for blood on his trail when I heard Alyssa yell "WOOHOO!" Pig down.

Just over the hill he had done a death twirl and then slid downhill into a canyon. My first shot hit him square in the rear and would've resulted in nothing more than a souvenir bullet for him to carry around. My second shot punched through ribs and destroyed one lung. Alyssa's broadside running shot hit him low in the chest and took out the top of his heart. Three shots, three hits.

A red faced Alyssa admiring her second pig. Note the slide marks to the left where he slid into the canyon.

A second shot of Alyssa after we dragged the pig into the shade to butcher.

Me and my pig hunter.

Alyssa hiking two hams and the head out of the canyon.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You have documented some good hunts with crafted words and pics for your girls.. They will be looking back on these for years.. Very nice

Back