Rim jobs

Brownie

Haha now that I have your attention I have some range pick up LC brass and I noticed some of the rims on them are buggered up and they are tight going into the shell holder and some are just a PITA to get in. Not a big deal on the single stage but I'm currently setting up my loadmaster and i don't want to deal with them on a progressive Is there a way to fix these other than tossing them??

Haha curiosity got my attention! other than careful inspecting each one and hitting the rough spots with a file that's all I can think of. Your other option is to send them to me and not bother with them hahah

Last edited:
Oh darn. Got me all excited for a bit. I used to know what a rim job is but dang if I can remember now. Wait...wait..getting your wheels chromed, right? Right?

Cant really help you with that brass. Sure, I find some of those every now and then too. If they really dont want to go in the shell holder I just toss them. Especially if they are .223 brass. If I make it another 20 years I will still have brass around for that caliber.

I suppose that you could clean them up a with a Dremel tool or something but that's more trouble than I am willing to do.

i'm with rusty - 5.56 nato brass is cheap and plentiful. i would just cull them out, its really not worth the time on something as common as lake city. you can pick that stuff up as raw range brass for around $50/k

if they dont fit the shellholder easy, i crush the case mouth's and toss em.

it'd probably be a different conversation if you were talking about some Lapua brass, maybe some norma or an unusual caliber
smile.gif

my $0.02 USD

Just a thought, but donate instead of crush them. I ended up with a few hundred mixed stamps out of a batch, just sorted them into piles and shipped them to other members that needed brass. I paid the shipping, bit of a mistake there
laugh.gif

I keep a stone on my reloading bench and give them a quick spin on it. It cleans them up real quick. I get that they might slow you down but it is a way to uses them up. I use a Dillon 550 and it's not too bad.

Back