First knife for an 8 year old

sigpros

What's a good beginner knife? For safety I'm thinking a single blade lock back style. Or should I get him a simple folder? Looking for ideas thanks

I don't know, I grew up with slip joint Case knives. Loved 'em and still do love a nice slip joint. With that said, while carving my name on a picnic table as a kid my knife folded up and gave me quite a deep cut on my finger. No doubt that happened because of inattention and poor technique. And of course kids are famous for inattention and poor technique.

Originally Posted By: GCI don't know, I grew up with slip joint Case knives. Loved 'em and still do love a nice slip joint. With that said, while carving my name on a picnic table as a kid my knife folded up and gave me quite a deep cut on my finger. No doubt that happened because of inattention and poor technique. And of course kids are famous for inattention and poor technique.

Ive done the same thing more than once as a kid and been to the ER for stitches... now days it either has a lock or i don't use it...

I started mine with a gerber, the little folder one. It's under $20 and i took the sharp edge off 1/2" of the tip. The rest stayed sharp for a few months. Then resharpened it up.

Hands are delicate, and a youngster can cause a lot of damage. Taking that edge off the tip seems to have worked, mine didn't cut themselves with theirs. (better than i could say for myself or my friends at that age)

For their 10th I got them a Gerber multi-tool if they didn't loose the other.

Good luck, and keep plenty of band-aids and hydrogen Peroxide on hand.

Hunter pal by Puma was my sons first. My daughter got a little buck skinner style. They both have many knives now and have only lost the little folders that get dropped in pockets. They seem to keep up with the belt knives.

Last edited:
Back