First Coyote

highrise37

I recently moved into a home with many acres of farm land a 2 minute walk out my reloading room door.
I have been active in the shooting sports for 30 years but mostly shooting skeet, trap and handguns.
One day I figured I would take a walk in the field behind the house and stumbled across a pack of coyotes in the distance......well that was all I needed.
Off to the local gun shop and ordered a Savage 2 stainless in .223. The gun came in a few days ago and I am very impressed,,,,I have custom .280 AI's that don't shoot as well,,,,,this gun was a 3/4" gun right out of the box.

That was last week,,,,,this morning I head into the field where I have a stand location picked out and get settled at 6:00 AM.
A few minutes later I blow on the rabbit distress call and hope for the best. Less than 5 minutes later I can't believe my eyes,,,,4 coyote enter the field 200 yards away and are looking toward the sound of the call......

I take aim at the biggest one who is sitting down facing me at this point and begin to squeeze the trigger and the gun goes off. I can see the yote go down as if he were struck by lightning as the other 3 bolt for the woods......6:15 and the hunt is over.

The Hornady Z-Max 55 grain preformed as advertised at a distance of 232 paces.

I am hooked
Thanks to everyone who's threads I have read over the last week for some very helpful information.

let me be the first to congratulate you on your first coyote the first time out with your new gun on your ?first? stand. That's a lot of firsts. did you take pics?

Last edited:
I do have photos and will get them up as soon as a figure that out,,,,,,
RCBS dies should be in tomorrow,,,,,can't wait to work up some nice loads for this Axis,,,,,

Originally Posted By: jf1073let me be the first to congratulate you on your first coyote the first time out with your new gun on your ?first? stand. That's a lot of firsts. did you take pics?

And first post! Welcome to PM, and congratulations. After the shot, you might give pup distress a try next time, some times you can get the mate(s) to come back for a 2nd shot.

Regards,
hm

Congrats! You're off to a great start. I think you will be pleased with that Axis. I have one in 243 win and it must be magic. Try some of the Fiocchi extrema loaded with the 50 grain Vmax for a back-up factory load.

Way to go on Your 1st Coyote....I have a Savage Axis XP Camo .223 Rifle and its put down several Coyotes,I'm using the Hornady 55 grain V-max in mine.

Your Officially Hooked as a Predator/Coyote Hunter....nothing will be the same from here out!
wink.gif

Kudos to you on your quick success. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't always go so easy for you. Good luck on future hunts.

Back