My first multiple..

Went out this morning on a day off. Set up and watched the bait pile, just shortly after daybreak had a big male come in for breakfast after a DRT left him lay. Bout 20 minutes later a smaller female came right up to where he was laying after another DRT shot they were laying five feet apart. I sat for almost another hour hoping20Uploads/20160422_063215_zpsfxplo0ab.jpg.html]
20160422_063215_zpsfxplo0ab.jpg
[/URL]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm185...zpsxfonhbfy.jpg[/IMG][/URL] for a third but no dice..

Last edited:
Thank you weekender yes but its about over the landowner wants me to shut the bait pile down till fall to keep the smell down. But im still gonna chase them little buggers...

Bill one of the things you can do, and I don't know what kind of bait you've been using, but 6mm has pretty good success cutting his bait pieces into nuggets and scattering them around the bait site. That really cuts down on smell and the accompanying buzzards. It also requires the animals to search a bit for each piece. Another thing you can do is to use dried dog food and mix a little bacon grease with it. It doesn't take much bacon grease, but it gives the dry food a bit of added scent without creating a pile of rotting meat. Landowner might feel differently in that case.

Thank you nr. Owen you given me some great advice on the dry dog food and bacon grease since there wont be any smell he wont be opposed to it. His only concern was the smell during summer months. And you nailed it on the buzzards theyve been tearin my pile up before the yotes, ill for sure give the smaller pieces a try next fall and in the mean time if i cant shoot em ill clog theyre arteries with bacon grease .....lol

You will probably have to replace the dog food after each rain, but still a big bag of Ol' Roy is only $20 or so. The dog food doesn't work as well for me in winter, but does okay during summer. They'll also eat pears, watermelons, and even tomatoes around here. I have pictures of one pulling pears right off the tree.

Somebody has to eat all that bacon, so be sure you don't clog your own arteries. Lol

Nice going Bill. As DoubleUp said, "when you're hot, you're hot."

I do mainly use small cut-up pieces of bait scattered about. The coyotes have to put their nose in the grass to find it. If they get a piece it's only a tidbit and they can't drag it off, so they remain in the area, searching out every little bite. That will give you a little extra time for taking a shot.

I like to play the wind too and will pour blood or hang a small, smelly piece of bait on nearby brush etc. to get the scent out.

Thanks guys you are all a great source of info and ideas. Thats why i like this forum you guys rock. Owen my wife said exactly the same thing about me eating the bacon ...lol. 6mm my bait set is on a river bank ive more sucess there than other places since they run the bank and dont have to come up and out into any open areas...

Back