Reminiscing on my 70th birthday.

elalto

Hi All,

Well here I sit on my 70th birthday remembering the “good old days”, as they say, if I had known I would last this long I would have taken better care of myself. Actually that is not true, I am glad that I have lived my life as though I needed to do everything that I wanted to do right away!! At this stage in my life, I am not in the best of health yet I’m not bad off for an old fart!

I’ve been thinking about the predator hunting I did back in the old days, I was a member of the CSVCA and hunted in a couple of the “Nationals”. I was fortunate enough to meet the legendary Sam Dudley in Needles CA. at one of the nationals and had a great time listening to his stories. I started hunting predators in 1968 and won the chapter championship in 1969 hunting in California, Arizona, Nevada and Baja Mexico, I had a great time. Around 1973 life became complicated and raising a family took my free time, I stopped hunting, sold all my guns except for my wildcat varmint rifle and dedicated my life to getting by.

Finally by 2003 I had gotten my kids raised, gone through the requisite divorce, had a great job and started to get back into guns, amateur gunsmithing and hunting. I then joined the Predator Masters, the Texas Predator Posse as well as some other on-line hunting groups. I started hunting with the Texas group, both predators and hogs having a great time and some super adventures. I hunted mainly in Texas for the next few years especially with a good buddy who was a Texas Game Warden near Abilene, TX. As luck would have it, I got promoted and real busy, then I got promoted again and really busy so my hunting and gun work was put on the back burner again until recently (4 years) when I retired. My Mom, who lived with me, required more and more care until she passed a couple of years ago at 96 years of age, since then I have been trying to get my life sorted out and back to the things I love.

Getting back to the gun work has been a matter of cleaning up the lathes and mills, digging out all the parts, unfinished stocks, barreled actions and other junk accumulated over the years, not easy but not hard. I find that now I am completing these projects to sell them rather that use them. I realize that at my age real hunting adventures are probably behind me more that ahead. I would really like to get in at least a couple more predator hunts before it is too late.

I really appreciate this opportunity to reminisce about the old days as well as a reach out to fellow minded individuals. Maybe it is just me but having never been 70 years old before I felt that a look back was in order and I don’t think I could find a more understanding group.

I would love to get an invite to hunt some coyotes, any day, any South Western State, day or night calling would be fine.

Best Wishes
Marcos (elalto)

Sounds like you've had some good times. 70 is coming up in a few months for me, I'm still hunting but it is different now, it used to be that the fur check was a good part of my income and I looked for jobs that let me harvest fur in the winter. I got lucky and was able to retire early and shooting and hunting are a major part of my life, now I look for ways to do it with out beating my self up so bad. I think I'll be in the Needles area next Feb and Mar maybe we can get together. My duck hunting partner and I both started hunting at age 10 and have 125 years of duck hunting experience between us. It would be fun to chase coyote and see how they do against a 100+ year of predator hunting experience.

Happy birthday elato!

I am about 6-1/2 years behind you. It seems like I just turned 60 but I will be 64 in just no time.

It must have been great predator calling in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I didn't start predator calling until about 1984.

Have a great 70th birthday and stay busy!

Bob

Yes the hunting was great then, we did not know how good we had it!

I had permission to hunt a large ranch about 30 minutes from home, that ranch was later sold and now has about 30,000 homes built on it. The residents are always complaining about the coyotes eating their pets, the state hunters cannot keep up with them.

First things first!

Now, as to the latter part:
Quote:I realize that at my age real hunting adventures are probably behind me more that ahead. I would really like to get in at least a couple more predator hunts before it is too late.

Hang in there, it's never too late. I'll be 80 in August and in spite of issues keeping me close to home for the past year and a half, managed to get a hunt in last month. Watch for opportunities, when you do manage to squeeze a hunt in, no matter how abbreviated, it is all the more enjoyable.

Happy Birthday!

Regards,
hm

Happy birthday sir....I'm sure you have some great stories, and I'm sure you will have many more....very kind of you HM, couldn't of done it any better!

Happy Birthday, I hope you will reach into your memory bag and pull out a few of those early days hunts and share with us.

Happy Birthday to you Sir, Kansas is not a SW state but if you are ever coming up here I'll darn sure take you hunting. By all means please share some of your past hunts with us!

Happy birthday to both of you (70&80) I'll ne 60 in October that makes me me seem young. Thanks for sharing and I gotta say this is a good group. It's fun to be apart of it.

Happy birthday!
There weren't any coyotes in Pa until somewhat recently, so I can't go back to where a lot of you guys were on hunting them. One thing I will note though, you still may have a lot of time left, I ran into a guy close to 3 mi back while fishing this year, he was 80! One of my buddies dad was still flintlock hunting at 98. Every time he sees me he says "how you doin young fellow"; I'm 68 and he will be 103 this Aug.

I really enjoyed your post. If I last another 28 years and see 70 I'll be the longest lived male of my lineage in 4 generations lol. Always good to have a goal.

Happy Birthday.

I'm just 5 years away from it. I hope I continue to have the health and energy to keep hunting and shooting. It's been my life.

Happy Birthday...Welcome to Predator Masters and as mentioned,We Love hearing Stories about Coyote/Predator Hunting and seeing pictures of recent and past Adventures!

Back