My new toy

Looks good, I used an 18" last season. You will definitely want hearing protection when hunting. I went out the first time, shot 5 or 6 times, and my ears rang for weeks. I wasn't used to that happening with 24" barrels.

I'd ditch that brake on a 5.56... But to each his own!
Nice looking rig, I shoot an 18" mid-length.

Looks nice. I am currently building one with a 18" barrel. I think it is the perfect length, especially utilizing mid length gas system.

You have to put it to paper for you to figure out what she shoots best.

I would start with a 60 grain Vmax round.

Nice rig but I would buy taller rings in order to get a proper cheek weld.

My Sabre 18" 1/7 shoots the 53 vmax as well as 75 tap with a 4moa trajectory out to 300 and my opinion is the 18" is the best barrel for hunting rig doubling as sporting rifle

I shoot a 16" Rock River 1/9 and it loves 55 grain zmax. It's crazy because I've researched the vmax and zmax bullets and basically everything I've read stated they are identical however the zmax factory load groups better then the vmax factory.

I'm putting a silencerco can on it here in a few months. Hopefully it makes it a little quieter.

I have two 16's, an 18, and a 20. IMO the 18' is the perfect length. It seems to balance better and you gain a few FPS over the 16'.

Nice.

I like 18's and it's what i've used for the past 5 years or so, mid length gas. With a muzzle break I think 18's shoot the best.

Building a pencil barrel 16" for next season, still going billet everything but the thinner barrel really lightens the load.

Originally Posted By: ApercellI have found that I really like the 18 inch barrel other than the weight of it. I'm gonna try to build a 204 next.

I am having McGowen making me a 18" 204 barrel it will be a SPR profile, fluted and threaded 5/8 X 24, 1/10 twist.

Last edited:
Now you're talking...I have 3 .204's and 4 .223's I've built and working on another.223 now. When I go to shoot though...99% of the time,I grab a .204. I even enjoy reloading different loads for it too. All my .204's have 1:12 twist and wish now I would have built one with a faster twist. Maybe the next build I will??? Good luck and enjoy what ever AR you decide on and be safe!
smile.gif

Back