.~:Feathers & FUR:~.

As you said, Jeremy, it is not uncommon to see/shoot three legged coyotes, but most have lost the leg to a trap and have a stub left.

Years ago, having been a deer hunter all my life, I was just starting to hunt coyotes seriously, and was using what I had in the way of equipment. What I had, was my pet .338 WM, which I used for everything!

Driving down the road, one day after a rain, I spotted a young coyote in the middle of a crossroad (two track) as we drove past. He was facing us, drinking water from a puddle and paid us no mind. Coyote population was not educated yet on this ranch and the youngster was still there as we backed slowly into the intersection.

I "guestimated" the range to be somewhere just north of 175 yards, held over and shot. The coyote dropped, but managed to get out of sight into the bushes alongside the road before I could get on him for another shot.

Went down to finish the job and couldn't believe what I found. Along with some blood, there were two legs lying beside the puddle. Turns out that I had underestimated the range quite a bit and must have broken the shot a hair right.

Happily, I quickly found the poor little feller in the bushes about 10' from where he was shot and was able finish the job.

Regards,
hm

thumbup.gif
Congrats to you both--Memories that last a lifetime

Back