Coyote call help

Peardog

I am very new to coyote hunted and decided to give summer hunting a try with my research i have come to the conclusion howling, pup and fawn distress work the best(correct me if im wrong) I was considering the Carver big dog howler and the RR custom elk distress. My question is can I achieve my goals of howling, fawn and pup distress with these calls? And obviously i can use these calls in winter for cottontail distress. Open to other options to help me this summer!!

I'm just one guy, but I've been calling for about 25yrs, and I'd say it's probably 20 to 1 which I've called using cottontail or jackrabbit distress sounds to any other sound (fawn distress, howls, woodpecker, mouse squeaks, etc). I have hundreds of calls, the vast majority of them rabbit distress for that reason.

Kerry's Big Dog howler will howl, no doubt about that. You might have trouble cleanly pulling down all the way for pup distress, but you should be able to bleat some fawn distress pretty easily near the tip. Depending upon the bell design, I wouldn't expect a good "big dog howler" to be good at cottontail distress.

Out of all of the calls I have, I don't have one of Ric's elk distress calls. I'd venture it'd be a little deep for a whitetail fawn distress bleat, but maybe. Same for the cottontail distress as above, a sweet singing elk call shouldn't do a good and raspy, shrill cottontail very well.

Ok cool thanks for the help. Will definitely try to get my hands on Ricks cottontail distress for this summer and see how it works. I was just going off of what i read on previous forums and articles.

Originally Posted By: PeardogOk cool thanks for the help. Will definitely try to get my hands on Ricks cottontail distress for this summer and see how it works. I was just going off of what i read on previous forums and articles.

I'm greatly surprised to hear two things - 1) your research did not reveal rabbit distress as one of the top, if not THE top sound for killing coyotes, and 2) you've read elk and deer distress to be in the top. Neither of those things make sense to me. Elk/deer distress can work, but it's not a top sound, and rabbit distress certainly is.

rick makes a great sounding closed reed fawn/cub distress call he uses to call black bears with I have one and it sounds great I would also look into a small pray sound like baby cotton tail/bird you can get these out of a rare earth red-f call it will also do woodpecker and mice sounds

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: PeardogOk cool thanks for the help. Will definitely try to get my hands on Ricks cottontail distress for this summer and see how it works. I was just going off of what i read on previous forums and articles.

I'm greatly surprised to hear two things - 1) your research did not reveal rabbit distress as one of the top, if not THE top sound for killing coyotes, and 2) you've read elk and deer distress to be in the top. Neither of those things make sense to me. Elk/deer distress can work, but it's not a top sound, and rabbit distress certainly is.

I couldn't agree more with this, I personally don't have any hand calls but I do use a foxpro, that being said its the same concept "to call in predators."

People may disagree with me but 99.5% I know about PREDATOR hunting has came from this site. I havn't killed any predators yet but my time will come.

All this being said... I have no idea why you would need any handcalls outside of a good cow horn howler and a rabbit distress call. Because rabbit distress is NOT a coyote call. It's a predator call, it works for everything.

Ask 9 out of 10 handcallers what call they would have if they could only have one and if they were being honest, it would be a rabbit distress type call.

Don't let all these styles overwhelm you, take it slow if you try and jump into this style of hunting you will want to much out of it to quick and it will disappoint you quickly. Like they say, patience is a virtuue.

I'm no expert, so don't let me try and tell you anything.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
As long as you're calling coyotes, I'd take a rabbit distress call over anything else. However, after hanging with some better predator callers over in AZ who hit the foxes and cats more than I do here, I'd be hard pressed to choose between the bunnies as the birds. Bird calls work very well for the smaller fuzzy critters.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamAs long as you're calling coyotes, I'd take a rabbit distress call over anything else. However, after hanging with some better predator callers over in AZ who hit the foxes and cats more than I do here, I'd be hard pressed to choose between the bunnies as the birds. Bird calls work very well for the smaller fuzzy critters.

Dont you mean the oh so cute and cuddly ones? As my wife would say... lol

Yep, those.
grin.gif

I've said this more than once, but a Carver Rabid Rabbit Extreme will do just about anything. Coyote vocals, rabbit distress, bird, pup distress;all that. A must have call. I've done best with pup distress and rabbit.

If the elk distress call you are referring to is an elk bite reed call this is one I would not be with out. I have a lot of calls, mostly open reed calls and howlers but I always have a bite reed call with me. depending on how tight you bite down or if you bite down at all you can, with practice, make rabbit,cat,elkand bird sounds. I often use it hands free and just hold it in my mouth. Bite down hard and trill your toung for a bird don't bite at all and make a rabbit with the waa sound. I have called more coyotes with this type of call other than the howler than any.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: PeardogOk cool thanks for the help. Will definitely try to get my hands on Ricks cottontail distress for this summer and see how it works. I was just going off of what i read on previous forums and articles.

I'm greatly surprised to hear two things - 1) your research did not reveal rabbit distress as one of the top, if not THE top sound for killing coyotes, and 2) you've read elk and deer distress to be in the top. Neither of those things make sense to me. Elk/deer distress can work, but it's not a top sound, and rabbit distress certainly is. Yeah this^^^^^^^but just was wondering, you say your new to coyote hunting. I would ask, do you have an E-Caller? And 2nd: I'm all for it, but do you realize how long it takes to be a somewhat descent caller...a lot of practice, a lot! You can't go wrong with any Carver calls, but are you just planning on going out and just start blowing??? You might wanna start putting some time in and practice. Jm .$01

^^^^great advice. We, shall we say, seasoned citizens, started many years ago when e-callers hadn't yet been invented. Believe it or not there was a portable record player that came first, but man what a pain. We had no choice but to screw up time and time again learning the fine points of hand calling. Now days I own and use 3 different Foxpro callers and love them. I still carry a few hand calls and use them frequently. I equate a person using hand calls today to a fly fisherman. Yes you can catch as many if not more fish with a cheap spinning outfit. However, if you want to become, again, shall we say, a genteel expert, you'll learn the fine art of flyfishing. Equally, hand calling is a fine, learned ability that rarely works well for a newcomer. Now if you've spent time learning to play a wind instrument and if you are OK directing a predators attention directly to yourself and able to sit stock still at the right time for the needed time then maybe you'll fare well quickly, but most do not. You will never regret investing in a good e-caller IMHO.

Originally Posted By: azmastablasta^^^^great advice. We, shall we say, seasoned citizens, started many years ago when e-callers hadn't yet been invented. Believe it or not there was a portable record player that came first, but man what a pain.

I might not be as well "seasoned" as one would think for this to be true, but my first E-caller, bought with allowance money, was one of those very same record players, upgraded with a couple hundred feet of wire out to the speaker. Weighed a thousand pounds, sounded terrible, and was a pain to haul around and set up. But it DID call coyotes. It also DID encourage a guy to get really good at using hand calls to avoid using it.

I have a gaggle of E-callers today, and hundreds of hand calls... we've come a long way, baby!

Back