Lead shotshells

The last three coyotes this season were with either 1 oz.(16 ga) or 1 1/4 oz(12 ga) of NP BB's from 29 to 52 yards. One shot each. I like NP BB's for my combo guns.

My buddy just picked up a box of 12 ga. 00buck, 3" shells, 12 pellet, 1350fps. Called heavier than lead "Heavi-Shot. "Dead coyote"....I have no feedback from a kill, but said they were great at 60 or so yards blowing holes through thinish plywood. I haven't tried them....yet!

i went looking for those Dead Coyote a couple years in T because up until recently you couldn't use buckshot here at night.

i about choked on my tongue at the price. i wasn't expecting $5 a squeeze. hornady's heavy magnum BB at $1.50 a crack was more my speed.

they might be the bee's kneez, but at $5 a round they made my wallet queezy
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei went looking for those Dead Coyote a couple years in T because up until recently you couldn't use buckshot here at night.

i about choked on my tongue at the price. i wasn't expecting $5 a squeeze. hornady's heavy magnum BB at $1.50 a crack was more my speed.

sick.gif

How many shot do you shoot on a typical coyote hunt ?
$2 a gal for gas in your $50,000 truck
Permits, and tags...
$5 a shot can't be too far out of line, JUST SAYING.
But yes there to expensive for me too.
The hornady coyote shells are very affective.
Winchester makes a good coyote load too.
Your killing your pattern density with 00 buck, #4 buck is better and will carry all most as much energy as 00buck.
I like "LEAD" Never Steel, F or T you get WAY more shot and there still 22,21 caliber in size way plenty of energy.
I reload some monster coyote shells with "steel" brand powder and lead F shot. Out of a xxx full choke .669 there very
effective out over 60 yards, in fact if I do my part shooting at 70 is very doable and clean kills. At 70 yards my densify is down a but , 8 to 10 22 caliber pellets in an 8" pattern . I use a 3" and a 3 1/2" hull the 3", 1 1/2 oz at 1500 fps are just as affective as the bigger ones with a 1 5/8 oz load at 1300 but we use both .

The thing that kept me from the heavi-shot wasn't the one or two trigger pulls I might get on a live coyote but the couple of pulls I'd need on paper to verify its performance first. Just knew I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I used BB for a long time (used to be ALOT more fox where I was) with good results on coyote. Your not going to get the range as with larger but effective at 40yds. Jetman that 3" 1 1/2 at 1500 sounds like the bomb.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei went looking for those Dead Coyote a couple years in T because up until recently you couldn't use buckshot here at night.

sick.gif
Yeah, he said the same thing! Gottem at "cheaperthandirt" and prices ranged from $20-$45 a box? Geez! Using a Carlson turkey/coyote choke in combo..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jetmanHow many shot do you shoot on a typical coyote hunt ?

0. maybe 1 if i'm amazingly lucky. thats besides the point. its the principal of the thing.

Quote:$2 a gal for gas in your $50,000 truck
you mean my $2500 aveo hatchback with 244,000 and counting? i wish i could afford a 50k truck
glare.gif
or even a $10k truck. my last truck i owned i pony'ed up a whopping $1200 for and put a $800 transmission in it.

Quote:$5 a shot can't be too far out of line, JUST SAYING.

in my world, [beeep] yes it is. the most expensive caliber i own only runs about $1.60 a shot for factory ammo. and even then i reload to keep it affordable. not everyone has dem deeeeep pockets and can afford to shoot the uber expensive stuff. my entire gun budget is funded by my 'i quit smoking' funds, which gives me around $2k a year to play with - thats ammo and equipment. without my ability to load centerfire rifle, i wouldnt shoot very much at all
smirk.gif

i might be tempted to pay $5 a shot to get behind a .50 if there was some kind of demo type thing going, but that'd be about it. and then it'd be a couple shots to say i did.

Quote:Your killing your pattern density with 00 buck, #4 buck is better and will carry all most as much energy as 00buck.

up until a couple weeks ago - buckshot wasnt an option here. of any size. TT was the largest you could night hunt with. now we can use #3 and #4 buck. as little as i night hunt for coyote (maybe one or two times a year, tops) its not that big of a deal to me.

Originally Posted By: Marcl84I hear a lot about using #4 buckshot. But what about lead BBs, shots will be limited to around 40 yards?

I used 2-3/4 lead BB for years, with good results. Head shots, when possible, are the best.
As with any shot & gun, you should check the pattern beforehand, to judge the best choke size for your gun & load.

I am an oddball, as I have always preferred BB, or even #2 high-brass turkey/pheasant loads, thru a .660-.682 turkey choke.
I'm willing to give up a little range, and even a little energy, to get a higher number of pellets in the target.
I know people always complain that those sizes "don't get thru hair & penetrate".
B.S....They do. Maybe not as much, but they do. And if you go for head shots, you don't have to worry about getting thru hair. They break the skull just fine.
cool.gif

Prior to beginning to call, I hunted with my dad, out of a truck, shotgunning from about 1979-1995.
Because it was his truck & gun, what I shot was what he bought....which was Federal 2-3/4 #4 Buck.
The gun was an Ithaca 37 "riot gun"...8-shot mag; 20" cylinder bore barrel.
At 40 yds, it put about 6 pellets in a paper plate.
Head shots...coyotes were dead before they hit the ground & slid to a stop.

But, I myself, was never happy with the few number of pellets.
So, when I stopped hunting with dad, and began hunting with calls, that's when I switched to the smaller shot.
I also switched to using a "turkey" gun...which originally was a Winchester 1300 Black Shadow, with a .682 choke.
Kicked like a mule, but I liked the number of pellets that hit the coyote, a whole lot better.

My most recent shotgun: a Remington 870 Express, with a Carlson's .660 choke.
Kicks less than that Winny.
And has an even greater range.

Before I went to AR's, I did all of my coyote calling using a Savage .243 and a Mossberg 500 with the turkey choke and either 3 inch #4 buck or Federal Copper Plated BB. The BB could be had in 25 round boxes for about the same cost as three five round boxes of #4 buck, so I went to the BB exclusively. I don't know for sure how many coyotes I killed with the BB rounds, but it was several and they were at ranges from 5 yards to 45 yards and they were all dead on the spot...

Back