Who needs a $2500 scope????? ReALLy????

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: DAAExit pupil?

- DAA

Care to clarify your comment, bro?

If you don't know how exit pupil pertains to scope performance in this discussion, you probably don't know which end of the scope you should be looking through.
You need to run away screaming from this discussion before you embarrass yourself worse than you already have.

Bro.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: DAAExit pupil?

- DAA

If you don't know how exit pupil pertains to scope performance in this discussion, you probably don't know which end of the scope you should be looking through.
You need to run away screaming from this discussion before you embarrass yourself worse than you already have.

Bro.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

FW707

The person you are ridiculing is the OP for your information.

Maybe you should use some of your genius and answer his question instead of taking the time to make fun of him.

I have no particular interest in whether he learns what he needs to or not, but I won't take time out of my day to make fun of him. It is of my opinion that you are the one who should be embarrassed.... You look like the bigger idiot to me if the choice is between you and the OP.

Post comments with substance

Well i'm out of popcorn and my soda went flat, so ... it still comes down to "each to his own". If you want a high dollar scope and the family won't go hungry by getting it, then have at it. If you can hit that target just as well with a low dollar scope or like me just maybe will break it in the country i hunt, then go for that.

When i was younger i spent many years hunting with open sights and did just as well as i do now with a scope. Now i'm older and need a scope, and yep it's a cheaper one cuz i realized i didn't need high dollar glass where i hunt.

I thought this was a calling web page. If you call them in do you shoot at them before they get close to you or do you miss the close shots and have to shoot at them running at long ranges. I use a 1.5-4 for calling. Maybe you are afraid to let the wild animal get very close to you. LOL

Aaah, glad to settle in for a Monday of PM Forums. Looks like the train went off the tracks on this thread over the weekend lol

For daytime hunting you don't need a $2K+ scope.
If you want one, awesome.
Most of my set-ups are used for more than one thing, so I tend to have higher magnifications than what is need for a yote rig

For nighttime, I would probably use no higher than 10 power, and realistically I have used 3-6 power more often than not.
I have engaged out to 600 yards at night with the capability to shoot further.
Most of the time though shots are under 350 yards.

P.S. The Terrapin is a great LRF for night use FWIW. The Leica and the G7-BR2, not so hot.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: DAAExit pupil?

- DAA

Bro.

Listen, Genius, the reason I asked for clarification is because #1, his comment was based in sarcasm and was not an attempt to be educational and #2, his comment was NOT relative to the dilagoue I was having with multiple other members.His comment made no sense in relation the the dialogue at that time.....I dont need your input on which end of the scope to look through. Ive been hunting/killing animals since I was big enough to hold a gun...Moderator or not, you sound like an idiot.

Originally Posted By: ThomCI thought this was a calling web page. If you call them in do you shoot at them before they get close to you or do you miss the close shots and have to shoot at them running at long ranges. I use a 1.5-4 for calling. Maybe you are afraid to let the wild animal get very close to you. LOL

No, Im def not afraid to call them in close. As a matter of fact, the closer the better for me. However, in the country I hunt in, its WIDE OPEN FOR MILES, and pulling them in to 5 yards is not always, an option.Thanks for your sarcastic input. You keyboard ninjas never cease to amaze me. There does not seem to be enough brain matter amidst all of you to constitute enough common sense to type one educational post or have a somewhat intellectual convo.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller
DAA said:
Exit pupil?

- DAA

Listen, Genius, the reason I asked for clarification is because #1, his comment was based in sarcasm and was not an attempt to be educational and #2, his comment was NOT relative to the dilagoue I was having with multiple other members.His comment made no sense in relation the the dialogue at that time.....

Wrong. Wrong. And Wrong.

No sarcasm. Legitimate comment/question in relation to high magnification at night. Offered in plain English. How is asking if exit pupil might be a reason to avoid high magnification at night sarcastic? How is it not absolutely relative to the discussion? How on earth does it not make sense?

What in the WORLD are you talking about??

I should have known better than to even open this thread. Or any of your threads. I won't make the same mistake again.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerThanks for your sarcastic input. You keyboard ninjas never cease to amaze me. There does not seem to be enough brain matter amidst all of you to constitute enough common sense to type one educational post or have a somewhat intellectual convo.

Name calling and sarcasm seem to be some of your favorite things to post. Once again, Pot, meet Kettle.

As far as brain matter, common sense and posting helpful information, these seem to be areas you either choose not to participate or aren't capable. I offer a simple constructive comment, in the form of a legitimate question and you go all "keyboard ninja" on me. Then a minute later turn around and call the rest of us "sarcastic" and "keyboard ninja" and lacking "brain matter". Etc.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller
DAA said:
Exit pupil?

- DAA

Listen, Genius, the reason I asked for clarification is because #1, his comment was based in sarcasm and was not an attempt to be educational and #2, his comment was NOT relative to the dilagoue I was having with multiple other members.His comment made no sense in relation the the dialogue at that time.....

Wrong. Wrong. And Wrong.

No sarcasm. Legitimate comment/question in relation to high magnification at night. Offered in plain English. How is asking if exit pupil might be a reason to avoid high magnification at night sarcastic? How is it not absolutely relative to the discussion? How on earth does it not make sense?

I should have known better than to even open this thread. Or any of your threads. I won't make the same mistake again.

- DAA

Sir, I went back and re-read your comments, and I must say, I jumped the gun a bit quick. I made a mistake, and Im big enough to say sorry. I apologize for what I said in relation to you. Please accept my apologizes, sincerely.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller
DAA said:
Exit pupil?

- DAA

Wrong. Wrong. And Wrong.

- DAA

Sir, I went back and re-read your comments, and I must say, I jumped the gun a bit quick. I made a mistake, and Im big enough to say sorry. I apologize for what I said in relation to you. Please accept my apologizes, sincerely.

Good on ya, Josh! I think DAA's reference to exit pupil was a serious question, as EP is indeed a very important attribute in choosing a scope and especially comes into play in poor light conditions. Here is an interesting explanation of EP:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/optics_opticpupil_061907/

Personally, I prefer lower power scope in the range of 3-9 to 4-14. 9-14 being sufficient for the 300 yards that I set as a personal limit and the 3-4 providing the wider field of view necessary for getting on those close, moving targets quickly. The older I get, the more I am leaning toward the 4.5-14's
wink.gif

In addition to the eye relief constraints of the 20x, I suspect (no personal experience here) that the exit pupil on the 20x would be smaller than the lower powered scopes which would be a bit of a handicap at night????

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerOriginally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCaller
DAA said:
Exit pupil?

- DAA

Wrong. Wrong. And Wrong.

- DAA

Good on ya, Josh! I think DAA's reference to exit pupil was a serious question, as EP is indeed a very important attribute in choosing a scope and especially comes into play in poor light conditions. Here is an interesting explanation of EP:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/optics_opticpupil_061907/

Personally, I prefer lower power scope in the range of 3-9 to 4-14. 9-14 being sufficient for the 300 yards that I set as a personal limit and the 3-4 providing the wider field of view necessary for getting on those close, moving targets quickly. The older I get, the more I am leaning toward the 4.5-14's
wink.gif

In addition to the eye relief constraints of the 20x, I suspect (no personal experience here) that the exit pupil on the 20x would be smaller than the lower powered scopes which would be a bit of a handicap at night????

Regards,
hm

Yes, his comment was legit and relative, I made a mistake for sure....as the the Exit pupil, I can tell you from experience, its def smaller on 20x than it is on 6 or 8x. 4x14 seems to be a pretty good balance. I just purchased a scope with 4x14 mag and I think its going to work pretty well...Thanks very much for your input!!!

I have a Leupold 6.5-20x40, and while it is great for prairie dogs, it is not so hot for calling. I have had it for over 20 years. Great scope, just really sensitive on eye relief, and FOV is not that great. It's not a "fast" scope for me.

Anyways, IMO magnification over 15x or so is very rarely (if ever) needed calling coyotes, and in fact is often a hindrance. Generally I leave my scopes set on 10x, night or day. Most of the coyotes I call in I kill between 50-100 yards. Some closer and moving, and I still do fine at 10x. If I am in brushy country I will turn it down to maybe 6x. I also kill plenty of coyotes in the 150-300 yard range, and occasionally out to 400-500. At that point I generally have plenty of time, and may crank up magnification to 15x. Not really needed usually, but I might.

Now night hunting to me is a different story. I like about 10x max. Higher magnification at night causes more trouble than it helps. As magnification goes up, light transmission goes down. Lots of coyotes in my area are light sensitive. Keeping the light levels lower results in more coyotes called in. So having a riflescope with good light transmission is much more important than how much magnification it has. Good glass costs money. IMO low light/night hunting is where the more expensive optics really begin to shine. Lots of things can look good and work fine during the day. But high magnification, low light, and cheaper glass quality don't mix well with me.

Couple of years ago I had a NF on a rifle and the sling broke....down went the rifle SPS tactical 308 full force on the scope. Dented the bell and cracked the glass on the edge....I wanted to cry....I hesitantly raised the rifle to look through the scope, sight picture is fine, just as good as before. Still tracks great, holds zero and has no issues to date. I dare any of you guys to do the same to your scopes and see what will happen. The scope is still in the same condition today. I'd you want pics, let me know....I'll be glad to share with you non believers of great scopes.

I am new here and I thank all you guys for your tips in helping me learn a new sport that is quickly becoming my favorite hunting activity! As for scopes, I am a firm believer that I should by the best glass that I can afford. On my .243 I run a Swarovski Z3 4-12. It works good in the early morni g and late evening, plus I can use this same rifle to hunt whitetails in the fall. Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Originally Posted By: LimflexI am new here and I thank all you guys for your tips in helping me learn a new sport that is quickly becoming my favorite hunting activity! As for scopes, I am a firm believer that I should by the best glass that I can afford. On my .243 I run a Swarovski Z3 4-12. It works good in the early morni g and late evening, plus I can use this same rifle to hunt whitetails in the fall. Thanks for all the great advice guys.

You're ahead in the game by having good glass on your rifle. Good glass extends your hunting times....early and late.

And welcome to Predator Masters.....

Back