Leupold, Vortex & Burris-I was SHOCKED!

Ok, as some of you have seen, Ive made a couple post about scopes lately on the forum. First was asking what advantages there was to a HIGH dollar scope, and second post was about needing a scope for my wife's new rifle.

I just wanted to let you guys know what I bought and what the deciding factors were. I went to a local store and I picked a Leupold VX111, a Vortex Viper and a Burris Predator Quest scope all with similar magnification.

The store clerk and myself went outside, picked a sign at about 500 yards and began analyzing the sign and details in each scope. I kept my own analysis to myself, as i wanted to see what the store clerk thought of his view through each scope.

I held the Loopy, and took in the view for quite some time. I held the Viper and did the same. I peered through the Burris........so what happened, well, I will tell you I was shocked.

I was planning on spending $1,000+ on a Loopy but when I looked through the cheaper Vortex, in my eye it appeared to be a touch more clear. I asked the store clerk and he said the same, that he feels the Vortex actually looked better to him.....then I held up the Burris and I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!!!

The clarity was EXCEPTIONAL!!! There was an obvious difference to me. The scope was built very well and when compared to the much more expensive Leupold and somewhat more expensive Vortex, I liked the Burris better, especially in terms of clarity. I tried to keep a non-subjective and unbiased opinion in regards to the NAME OR BRAND, and judge strictly on how it looked to me, regardless of Brand or price tag. I bought the Burris and at this point, couldn't be happier.

Thanks to some of the fellow PM members who turned me on to Burris.

Yes, I got it at Optics Planet...I got it for $270.
smile.gif

Great price but is it repeatable. When you run it left to right up and down will it return to the original zero.

Read up on box test and let us know how it preforms.

Not saying my Nightforce is better but two years ago early in the morning I shot a Coyote I was walking back to my truck and the quick release swivel at the top somehow came undone. The Rifle dropped off my shoulder and the scope was the first thing that hit the rock on the ground. It was an oh s hit moment but there wasn't much else to do but continue hunting. I got three more Coyotes that day. The next weekend I went out to re zero my Rifle and the zero did not move at all.

Sometimes their more to the quality than just the glass.

Originally Posted By: TrapShooter12Great price but is it repeatable. When you run it left to right up and down will it return to the original zero.

Not saying my Nightforce is better but two years ago early in the morning I shot a Coyote I was walking back to my truck and the quick release swivel at the top somehow came undone. The Rifle dropped off my shoulder and the scope was the first thing that hit the rock on the ground. It was an oh s hit moment but there wasn't much else to do but continue hunting. I got three more Coyotes that day. The next weekend I went out to re zero my Rifle and the zero did not move at all.

Sometimes their more to the quality than just the glass.

I totally agree 100% with you. You could nearly drive nails with that NF and it would prob stay on zero. No doubt, they are HIGH QUALITY optics and certainly better than the Burris predator quest. However, for me, Ill prob not move the turret much at all once it is set to its zero. I bought the Burris because it will do the job i need at the distance I need and I think for the money, its clear glass and seems to be well made. Is it a NF? Certainly not, but I didnt pay NF price either...Not to say, that I wouldn't want a NF, because ID LOVE 1, but I just cant make myself pay the $$$. Im looking forward to putting the Burris on paper this weekend and seeing how she performs. Ill update for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TrapShooter12Great price but is it repeatable. When you run it left to right up and down will it return to the original zero.

Sometimes their more to the quality than just the glass. Naw, I think in JMHO, you can say it...your "Nightforce" is a much better scope! I only have one Nightforce ATACR 5X25X56, and is the most expensive scope I own. And don't get me wrong, that Burris Predator Quest is a great scope, for what it is and what it will be used for. But I wouldn't be able to justify the comparison to one another. I don't think that Nightforce even makes any optics in the $300 range....lol. But I get what your saying. Think I would of came close to having a heart attack if I dropped mine!

I guess my only question would be did you have a chance to do a box test on the scope and see if it was repeatable, and came back to the same p.o.i.

Thanks for the report!

Tony.

Originally Posted By: tonybI guess my only question would be did you have a chance to do a box test on the scope and see if it was repeatable, and came back to the same p.o.i.

Thanks for the report!

Tony.

I havent had a chance yet. Ill be shooting this weekend, and Ill def give a report. Time will tell!

Back