What do I do with my 16" ar-10 243

nightcaller

This gun shoots awesome! I've shot multiple 3 shot groups in the 3s.I've built my dream rifle for calling ! BUT this thing is so loud I've got to do something. Even with my 30 Cal suppressor it is very loud.

I like velocity but at 16" this barrel isn't doing it for me. I'm only getting 2950 fps with 70gr bullets. What are my options?

-Rebarrel? I like the 243 but I already have a bolt gun that I shoot 95gr bergers faster than this one can shoot 70gr bullets . Not sure what other cartridge I would go with but I want it to be quieter and faster.

-been shooting varget would another powder burn fast enough to lessen the muzzle blast?

-anyone have any experience with a 22-243 (might need to do a search or start a new thread for that question).

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Why not order a longer barrel? There is plenty of companies that would sell .243 AR10 barrels for not crazy prices. Longer barrel will give you more out of the cartridge and it will be "quieter". I understand the loudness, my 16" .223 is insane, a neighbour can hear it and he's almost 2 miles away!

I will gladly take it off your hands and then have it threaded 5/8x24 and put a suppressor on it.

Problem solved, you are happy, I am happy and we live in the same state!

How cool is that:)

MrP you don't have an AR10.
Id sell/trade it and buy at least a 20" bbl.
Another pal has a R25, but w/a 20" bbl & shoots w/suppressor, not as loud.

Originally Posted By: 5spdMrP you don't have an AR10.
Id sell/trade it and buy at least a 20" bbl.
Another pal has a R25, but w/a 20" bbl & shoots w/suppressor, not as loud.

I know!

It sounded like he wanted to get rid of it!

I was gonna take it free of charge;-)

What powder would you suggest? It does have an adjustable gas block. Can the gas block affect noise or velocity? I've assumed it wouldn't affect either.

i have a 16" LR308 and its louder than snot. my dad was getting so annoyed with it i had to move the shooting bench further away from the side of the house. i have a friend with an AR10, same kinda thing - but his has a brake on it. even worse.

those lil shorties are barkers.

i built a 20" upper to help mitigate the issue.

Back