Which Handguard?

F79B57CA-AE45-47D8-903E-7729134C5EEE_zpsnnuc1ivk.jpg

Pictured here are a Lancer Carbon Fiber (customer), Nordic Aluminum (customer), and a pair of Troy Alpha's (mine - have 5 of these). I don't know that I'd buy another Lancer, but it's a good looking guard, and very light weight. The Nordic is remarkably light for a full dia guard. The Troy Alpha's are a shrunken dia model, but not necessarily super light compared to some other models out there - pretty light, but not ultralight.

Additionally, I've been very happy with a couple Aero guards, among others.

Originally Posted By: FishnHunt9I bought a Matrix Victor handguard I went to put barrel nut on and my armour wrench doesn't fit it, what are hall using to put these barrel nuts on?

1 3/16" wrench

I just took apart my latest build that used a Matrix handguard because of inconsistent accuracy. I found the barrel nut now fits the threads very sloppy, much worse than other barrel nuts I had to compare. I didn't torque it all that tight but think it expanded somehow. Seeing that, I can't recommend them, though I really liked the slim design. Kind of bummed about it actually. Hopefully it shoots a little better with a different tube.

I have a 1 3/16 crow foot wrench that was recommended to me by matrix was supposed to be here today but thanks to fed ex it is now supposed to arrive monday

Last edited:
Does any body know where I could get a AP guard at? Would like the 17in slotted/rail with nut or any rifle length guard and nut will work though. Any body know why AP went out of business?

Last edited:
For all my ar hunting rigs I use the round free float tubes, never cared about the tacticool factor and adding a zillion accessories to it. I'm all about light weight and move ability, but that is me.

Look up DPMS free floats and the round tubes are like $50 or $60 bucks.

Last edited:
I got the Fortis Rev 12". It is very light but I doubt anybody thinks it's a good hunting tube. I love it and this is now my dedicated calling rig. It's sharp, lightweight, very durable, and can add any feature you want on it.

Originally Posted By: gene10pntrDoes any body know where I could get a AP guard at? Would like the 17in slotted/rail with nut or any rifle length guard and nut will work though. Any body know why AP went out of business?
I found one by pure luck a few months back from mounts plus (I think that's the name). Pretty sure that was the last octagonal 17" in existence.

I have no clue why they went out of business but they went absolutely dark. It's a shame because they made great stuff just horrible from a customer support/business stand point.

Go with Lancer.

Either the BCM KMR or their aluminum version,
or
SLR.

I have both and am impressed with the quality of each. I run the KMR-A on a 12" 5.56 SBR and the SLR on a 16" RECCE 5.56. As soon as I pick up a new DPMS G2 308, I'll be adding an SLR to that also.

Back