My first build (FINSHED, w/pics)

NEfurtaker

Just a build thread for my own personal documentation. Thought it was worth sharing and also a great place for me to ask questions for those that are more experienced.

When I started this journey,I hadn't much of a clue on how the AR platform worked. I had shot a few. Some friends have carbines for plinking and just are your average shooters. A good friend of my fathers, who is an avid night time caller, showed us his AR with the thermal scope one night. I knew I had to try and build one after a little bit of research. The thought crossed my mind to buy something like Remington R-15, Mossberg MMR hunter, etc.

But, after further research decided I could handle this building disease I had heard about. I wanted to just build something plain, functional, and not overly expensive but would get the job done for my day calling needs. I also wanted something that wasn't just all black, as I think it is kind of boring, especially for a rifle built for hunting needs.

Thanks to this community for answering questions, providing great discussion, and good times to be had on the internet!
thumbup1.gif

2ithncj.jpg

LOWER:
Spike's "badger" stripped lower
CMMG LPK/ Mil Spec trigger group
thumbdown.gif

Magpul MOE Fixed Rifle Stock ODG
Hogue Over Molded Rubber grip ODG
2x Magpul 20Rd Mag ODG
JoeBobs A2 Buffer Tube Kit

2w66qzo.jpg

2reiex2.jpg

UPPER:
Aero Precision BLEM complete receiver
Bear Creek Arms 18" 1:9 fluted Hbar
PSA Full auto BCG
BCM Gunfighter with Med latch
BTE 12" Free Float Tube ODG ( waiting for this to ship)

jfdlcm.jpg

2nw0tv8.jpg

Still have a few odds and ends to pick up and decide what I want to run for optics.
Sorry for the low light pictures, I just moved across town and don't have my workbench quite setup like I want.

Im fairly mechanically inclined ( been working on cars,motorcycles, atv's for 10+ years) so it has been fairly easy thus far. Waiting for hand guard to show up so I can begin assembling the upper.

jae1ig.jpg

Last edited:
welcome to the sickness
laugh.gif

once you get some basic tools around and a build under your belt, its really not as bad as it seems before you get started.

looking sharp so far & that spiral fluting on the barrel is awesome!

If I can ask how much did you pay for the handguard if you want you can pm me the price? Build looks good post some target pictures after shooting it. Are you rolling your own or factory ammo?

Originally Posted By: zr600If I can ask how much did you pay for the handguard if you want you can pm me the price? Build looks good post some target pictures after shooting it. Are you rolling your own or factory ammo?

Handguard was $90 from George @ BTE-USA. Check out his website, makes some really good stuff from what I have heard.

I don't hand load, so just will be shooting factory stuff. Excited to find out what its going to like.

Last edited:
I think you'll like that barrel, mine shoots pretty good and looks even better than it shoots. Nice build !

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind comments and encouragement. Having fun doing this and am eagerly awaiting my hand guard to see it will match up with the rest of the ODG.

and the final product, well almost. 95% done. Still need to figure out a muzzle device for the time being.
Upper went together really well, only had troubles with gas tube roll pin, it was a PAIS until I made some minor adjustments to the tools I was using.

zwi89s.jpg

Will update with first round groups and targets, just don't know when i will get to take it out for first shoot. it has been raining here for days.

Already planning the next one in my head...
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: zr600Does the handguard have any holes taped for a sling stud?

No holes tapped for sling studs. I did however pick up a Magpul M-Lok QD adapter, and with some light filing it fits in the slots for a real clean look. AWS did this on his egg shoot rifle he did and suggested it to me. Worked out well!

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlLook'n good,, beware the addiction begins !!!
Does the BTE barrel nut require a strap wrench ?

The barrel nut itself just uses a standard armors wrench to tighten/torque it to receiver. I did use a strap wrench to snug the hand guard to the barrel nut. Seemed like the right way to install it.

Originally Posted By: NEfurtakerOriginally Posted By: Bob_Atl...Does the BTE barrel nut require a strap wrench ?

The barrel nut itself just uses a standard armors wrench to tighten/torque it to receiver. I did use a strap wrench to snug the hand guard to the barrel nut. Seemed like the right way to install it.

Cool, TKS, that's what I want, but other similar products I've used required a strap wrench.
My strap wrench is difficult to measure with & get correct torque.

Back