Question--Best trap bait for coyotes in an urban or suburban setting ?

rickeroo

Need some help here.
I'm not having any luck trapping coyotes here in my backyard in suburban Atlanta. I know that they are there because I've seen them even during the day. I keep getting raccoons, possums, sometimes my own cat and the neighbors dog--but no coyotes. Using four good leghold traps and tried various commercial baits, but the coyotes seem to sense a "trap" and steer clear. Any suggestions ? Or should I just go back to (safely) shooting them with my shotgun when I get the chance which isn't often.

It is not the bait,but the set and bedding the trap properly. Any fresh edible meat should work. I would prebait a deep, 12-15 inches, dirthole set and sift the dirt so you can see clear tracks,once a coyote is working the bait you will see the trap pan location( where the coyote places the front foot he is not pulling the bait out with).Use a clean trap and bed it solid with the pan lower, depth of tracks,then the rest of the trap and set bed. I use small chunks of fresh beef liver. If you let them work the set a couple times before setting the trap they are much easier to fool.

You can also try different sets. Try a blended flat set with just gland lure on the backer. Or you can use an old school trick with a dirt hole set. Find a log dig a hole on one side with a dirt pattern and put bait in the hole but no trap and on the other side of the log make another dirt hole with no bait, lure, or urine and bed a trap as normal at this hole. Make sure your trap is solid so it doesn't move under the foot of a coyote. This set work in urban areas due to the fact that most non target animals will only go to the hole with bait, but a coyote will check out both holes

I do not know what kind of sets you are using but exact trap placement is very important. If you don't know about this you really need to study trap placement. Also I think for inexperienced trappers may have better luck with a deep dirt hole set. I squirrel and rabbit hunt. I have had real good luck with dirt hole baited with whats thrown away from cleaned small game. Head, hide,guts. I put "better parts in deep dirt hole so coyote has to work to get out. I also scatter plenty of fur and such around dirt hole are for visual and to help relax coyote some. Trap placement important. Good Luck, Randy

Back