X Caliber

reddog964

Finally came a couple days ago and i got it put together, Had plans for some testing tomorrow but its raining for the next 4 or 5 day's...

Got a batch of 32gr Sierra BK loaded up for testing..

1-11 twist, 3 groove @ 20"s

8.55#s all up with the VXR 4x12-40mm Firedot duplex CDS

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Thats a nice pipe. What contour do they call that. Do you plan on shooting the lighter bullets with that twist.

Thanks, It is there light weight profile .980 .700 .750GB .700
I plan on shooting the 32gr BK exclusively, i like things to spin a little faster
wink.gif
And it gives me options.

Looks good! I too will be watching this, as I'm still slowly getting mine together. I went with the 1-10 twist @ 24" long. I am planning on working up some 32, 35, and some 40 grain loads. Then see how it shoots and go from there.

That looks kind more like a heavy sporter profile w/a .700" muzzle than a light pencil bbl. you usually see.
I like the looks of your build. Keep us updated on how that X barrel shoots.

Patiently waiting on my X-caliber barrel. Maybe soon I hope. It will be a 20 caliber with a 10 twist. Hope it looks as good as yours.

Last edited:
That's a beauty.. Congrats..

I have that same BBL and cal in a bolt gun. I really like the 11 twist.. That thing will be a tac driver. H 4198 is the powder for mine..

Thanks Guys..

5SPD, I like the profile a lot and think it is perfect for a hunting rig!

pyscodog. It will be worth the wait! This one took 9 weeks but the were figuring out the gas port size for a week or so! I finally told them to just drill it to .086 and we would be good to go.. I also had them do this in a Mid Length gas system, they suggested a rifle length but i was set on a Mid length..

Kerry, I have heard about yours and Rob has showed me how they shoot, I do have some 4198 but have a bunch of 8208 that im going to give a shot first. Ive had great luck with 3 grooves and I think the 11 twist is perfect for the 32 to 40gr pills, I dont ever plan on shooting the 50 or 55s in a 20 Practical.

I did make it to the range today but had a little hickup... My bad but i loaded a few just to get it close on paper and I forgot to seat them deep enough after i figured out the seating depth.. I loaded them before i had the barrel! The range master called a ceasefire and i already had one chambered so i had to kick it out and the bullet stuck in the lands...eeeeergh I did get a chance to shoot about 6 rounds 2 in each group while making adjustments and they looked pretty impressive for two shot groups...Lol It pretty much fell out after i got home, just a light tap with the range rod which i normally take but forgot today...

Heck I've been busy as all get out so i have not got much done yet, I had a chance to go test a few last Friday.
I had kind of figured that 26grs was going to be close to a max load with the XBR8208, it was 90' out when i shot them so it was warm out!
It showed some very light extractor marks with the 26gr loads and they did not shoot quit as good as the 25.7gr or 25.4grs. Im going to play with the seating depth a little and run them across the chrony probably this next friday.

Looks good! I did get my barrel installed and working loads for it now. My groups are very similar. Hoping they tighten up a little more. I get best results with 8208 powder. Seems when I use Rel-10 I start getting primer issues. 35 grain Bergers have given the best accuracy,40 grain Noslers and 40 V-Max are pretty good too. Next trip to the range will be with the 32's.

Back