Ready for gophers.

canineshooter

Thought I would share my gopher rifle with everyone. I bought this 10-22 ruger used over 20 years ago. I had the barrel set back and re chambered to tighter tolerances. the trigger was fine tuned to 2.5 lb. pull. The stock was pretty beat up so I just did a simple krylon paint job. I also took the front barrel band off and glass bedded the action. For many years it had a 3x9 tasco scope on it. It held zero and shot ok. I'm sure the parallax was factory set for 150 yards or so. That's why I don't think it ever shot really great.

Last year I started reading about peep sights. I never had a rifle with peeps so I ordered a set of Tech Sights for it. I bought 300 rounds of CCI target ammo. I zeroed it and shot some groups at 50 yards of the bench. It seemed to shoot really well. I burned through the 300 rounds and for the next year I couldn't find that CCI ammo anywhere. A few days ago my local gun store had a few bricks on the shelf so I took a brick home. Set up at 50 yards again and it still shoots very well. I have shot several 5 shot groups at 50 yards. They all hover around 1" to 1.5" Of course I hade to cherry pick the best group to show.

Originally Posted By: toastyOriginally Posted By: myers129good eatin!

I have never understood how you eat them. when up in Utah, we hunt the greys up their quite a bit, and so much fun! I use either the Gamo whisper or a 10-22. But once there prepared correctly, (salt & pepper) they are some good eat'n critters. I've seen them on "exotic foods.com" go for as much as $60 per squirrel. Just need enough to fill u up, not much meat on'm....last year, tried a "yellow bellie marmot", or commonly known as a "rock chuck". That's something I won't do again...lol

How many gophers do you shoot?
The amount of gophers here that are seen above ground would hardly warrant purchasing a gun.
We have tons of them and gopher baiters are very common to rid orchards and fields. Some guys use propane guns.
Traps, though technically illegal, get used even at the state capital and institutions.
I have photographed them but it is no easy feat.

I have just moved into a new gopher shooting season --The population was TOTALLY killed off by bug -5 yrs ago- Talk about population EXplosion !!
on them with
Tricked out 10/22 4 x 12 Leo- Whistle Pig Barrel- shooting off -Tripod in the back of the Tacoma Shooting 360 degrees on the compass- NOTE -( watch out for the truck antenna)

Estimated 400 gophers per acre -- 660 acre field (section) - u do the math x 10 sections-
- from only one stand last night i fired 250 rnds rim fire 22LR- 1.25 hrs - Claiming everything out to 100 yrds maintaining 75% success

Richardson Ground Squirrels --
sad for the ranchers cuz its worse than locust -- but perhaps some of the best Rim fire action on earth -world class!!!

Back