Coyote hunting in Maine...

DSCN0493_zpspz38miun.jpg

finaly got another. called for about 20 mins and this male came in. he stopped at 154 yds and was down wind of the mojo critter looking like he was about to head out so I whacked him. the call went to pup dist and a big blond coyote was roaring in it got down wind from the mojo, got my scent and took off, I tried to stop it but no go. was happy to get the one though. got to remember to put scent on the mojo.
don

Last edited:
DSCN0515_zpsw1vobwrs.jpg

this girl came in to my bait at my house. put on the light at 0100am and waited, then at 0200 I saw her coming in , grabbed the gun and headed to the mud room. the storm window is out permanently and have a sand bag rest there shot her right behind the shoulder. a 30lb female. not calling but cool just the same.
don

DSCN0518_zpsfp8cqtko.jpg

my buzzers woke me up last night and there was this lady a 30 lb female she trotted around quite a bit but finaly stopped for a shot, not callin but you gotta take em as you see em
don

WGI_0001_zpsw4mkresk.jpg

another hopeful comin to my bait, I've spent 2 sleepless nights so far. leaving the lights on hasn't worked yet with this one but worked on the last 2, go figure. I've tried green and red but both spook this one. this critter has been to college. got this picture a half hour after losing power in a wind storm, no lights! and I didn't have backup batts in the motion alarms. tonight's the night, has to be after midnight, think of the weight it'll gain.
don

DSCN0524_zpsuvhoboxi.jpg

still haven't got the one on my bait, but called this one in this morning. he came in after only 3 minutes to rabbit distress. I was sitting on the road in the pic right out in the open, he never looked at me. ran to about 10yds of the decoy, turn and ran back they way he came, I woofed and he stopped broadside and I whacked him DRT, very cool, good ole fury 2 strikes again
don

Last edited:
DSCN0536_zpsg6jihvxa.jpg

had some luck this morning. this 30lb female came in to howls, pup distress and hurt pup after about 15 minutes of calling. no prey sounds
don

DSCN0554_zpsuchz02og.jpg

and here's another from this morning. walked in before daylight, heard them howling in front of me very close, it was cool, a 37.4lb male
don

Last edited:
thanks guys, like we all know, you go set after set with no action, then it just clicks. what I did was change from prey sounds to howls and quite a bunch of pup distress and hurt pup, cause of the time of year. it was just an experiment at first but it worked right away. I'm pretty pumped after this little run.
don

That is amazing Don. Very impressive. I haven't read far back in this thread but what is your setup like? Are you in a blind? Using cover scent etc?

I set my call and decoy as far upwind of me as the location allows, 100 to 200 yds the wind is blowing from the call to me, this keeps they're attention a long way from me. you must be able to see all around the decoy and call, in case they come in to them on the upwind side. no blind, no cover scent, no need as they're attention is a long way from you. I try to hunt open ground, here that's blueberrys. sometimes the wind is a cross wind and then the call goes upwind and out as far as the location allows. Every setup is a learning experience and I'm guessing which sounds today and which in this spot. my only secret is that I go a lot, period!!!!!!!! I take this coyote stuff very seriously
don

Back