AR .224 heavy coyote round

I looked around at a few places that I though still loaded the Sierra, but evidently they have all quit using it. I load mine and they shoot very well out of my Tikka. I think I was getting a little over 3000 fps with them. That's plenty of thump for everything I shot with them.

Originally Posted By: CknightI wasn't sure if there might be a difference in bullet flight going from copper jacketed bullets to all copper, other than bullet weight. I haven't tried all copper bullets yet so i don't know to much about them. About I know is that the all coppers are turned on a lathe.

There is a difference in flight - copper solids are longer than their respective weight copper and lead brothers, so an all copper bullet needs a faster twist to stabilize at long ranges.

I've killed plenty of coyotes with 50grn V-max's at 400-600yrds, and a handful with 75grn A-max's as well. The 75grn is easier to figure at longer range, but if you can manage the trajectory of a 75grn pill, you can manage it for a 50grn pill too.

Did you have any expansion issues with the A-Max? Did you shoot them out of a .223? When using the A-Max did you shoot for vitals or head?

Hey I want to thank you all for the help! This is great I have all kind of new ideas for my arsenal of coyote hunting. Look like i need to ge my reloading bench up and going. Thank you again!!

Originally Posted By: Rich1Well, at 2750 with the sierra 65 gr Gameking where I live you are still packin over 1500 fps at 500 yds. Should be plenty of wallup.

My 223AI is spitting them at 2993 (my slow load, as it is still a work in progress). With a DA of 768 (DA as I am typing this per Shooter App), mine are running 1609fps with 373 #kE at 500yds with 2.9mils of dope with a 175yds zero. Not just tons of energy, but put it in the boiler room and it will be enough to do the job on yotes, fo sho. The fella in my avatar didn't like the meeting that I arranged for him with one...
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Back