Best AR hunting trigger

Have only tried three triggers on the AR platform. My RRA stock trigger, 4.2 lb and not a bad over all trigger. Timney 3 lb, 3#4oz as checked, that I replaced it with, much better and more to my liking. Finally the trigger on my son's AR, a DPMS I think. It tested at 7#2oz, and was just horrible overall, with massive creep and grittiness. I like the Timney a lot, but did not like the install, trying to get the set screws under the spring.

Timney 4# I really like myself and under that weight it is asking for trouble as to the springs and the set screws just push them to the side slightly and screw in the plugs easy I do not trust the set screws so I use the KNS pin holders very nice it is a real pain to lose a pin in the woods and not have a functioning weapon

My wife bought me a Velocity trigger for Christmas. Smooth, consistent, & breaks like glass, IMO it would be very hard if not impossible to beat this trigger for $150.

After much research and being tired of the mil spec, gritty, 8 lb pull of my stock Bushy trigger, yesterday I installed a Geissele SSA-E in my .223 AR. I have only dry fired it so far, but it feels very nice. I've never had a 2 stage trigger so that may take some getting used to.
After watching this video:
Bill Geissele convinced me to try his product. I think I'm going to like the 2 stage, I think it will help me slow down and stop "slapping the trigger" and believe it is a safer option on a semi auto rifle. Now I'm going to need one for my 6.8
Get it from Joe Bobs and get a free t-shirt!

If single stage is what you want and you are thinking of Timney save your money and buy Velocity. The owner of Velocity worked at Timney for many years and the Velocity trigger is every bit as good as the Timney trigger. You just need to decide do you want two stage or single stage. Me I like single stage in all my bolt guns and two stage in My Ar. Platforms.

i've been hunting with my timney single stage 4.5lb since the day i installed it. i dont know if its a hunting trigger per say, but i still hunt with it. 4.5 lbs is a reasonable trigger pull for hunting i think.

Last edited:
Well I use both the Timney and velocity and find both are excellent units just the velocity is a bit less expensive. my latest build was 6x45mm that shoots quarter size groups at 300 meters it has a velocity 4# trigger and have a service rifle on the bench and it will get a 4.5# velocity my 556 stag 6h and dpms 308 have Timney triggers @ 4# and I can not find any thing to complain about they work for me

I've been using a velocity 4.5lb in my 204 AR for 8 months or so and it just recently started to double fire. I can't get the company to return my calls or emails. I hate poor customer service!!! If anyone knows how to get these yahoos to respond, I'd sure appreciate it!!

Originally Posted By: SledgeThis comes up almost weekly here so there are a lot of threads to read using the search function. With that said, my personal favorites in order:

1) Elftmann
2)AR Gold

X2. The 2 best AR triggers made.

Back