Size of grain lead for 223

a 12 twist will usually perform best with lighter bullets. 55 grainers and below, although you may be able to get into the 60grain range too.

my 12 twist rem 700 used to be very happy with hornady 55gr vmax.

if you're a handloader you should be able to get the light bullets really zipping for vamint usage. 40 grainers are realistic in a 12 twist barrel. make sure you expierement

if you're shopping for factory ammo get a couple different types from the midweight stuff down to lightweight.

it might supprise the heck out of you.

My Rem 700 with a 1/12 barrel shoots everything from 40gr to 60gr bullets very well and will produce 100 yard less than .75" groups with the 60s and my reloads,,, Below is a 200 yard group with 60s..(Squares are 1")..Once you get over 60gr, the performance is pretty 'iffy'

Just had a Interarms MK X in .223 handed to me, it a 20" barrel 1:12 twist and I have loaded up some 40 grain sierra BlitzKing and some 52 grain Sierra HPBT using 4 different powders and am going to try and get out this weekend to evaluate them. Maybe have some load info next week. I'll post them here when I get it figured out. They guy that gave me the rifle said it wouldn't shoot factory 55's.

I forgot to add that while loading the 40 grain stuff to max COL of 2.30, there isn't a lot of bullet in the case neck. I got different info from different books that showed COL from 2.20" to 2.30". I chambered a dead round to 2.334" and so my rounds are .003" less than the lands. Am I alright or am I missing something?

Back