Anyone hitting clay pigeons consistency at 400 yards

I didn't measure one but I assume a clay is around 4" diameter. Given a good gun, shooter, and favorable conditions it should be easily repeatable. I haven't done it as I usually use the 12" gongs or steel prairie dogs supplied by the range for reactive targets.

I know a guy with over a dozen that will. And I would say well over 75% at 500 even with his PPP behind the trigger. All built by a sponsor on here.

Greg

ive never tried it at 400, but i have a couple that i could do it with at 300 though. i rarely have the pleasure of being able to shoot out past 200 yds, but the guns i'm thinking of can produce under 1.5" groups at 200, so stretching them out to 300 on a pigeon wouldnt be beyond the realm of things at all.

beyond that my personal abilities are probably more limiting than my guns abilities though. i just dont have enough practice out past 300 to know for sure if i could pull it off with any consistency, on any platform.

Whats the wind like?

My experience with shooting 223 out to 500 it all has to do with wind. My heavy 24" bull barreled upper I traded a year ago but with a 18x Leupold it would hold MOA out to 500, on a calm day.

I routinely shoot pieces of broken clays at 300 yards, my Larue stealth makes that seem easy. 500 is when I'd need full clays for consistent hits. If you have the right set-up and dialed in handloads it's not as hard as it seems. Perfect conditions required obviously.

Standard clays are 110mm = 4.3" or 108mm = 4.25", Midi's are 90mm = 3.5", and Mini's are 60mm = 2.4". So you're talking about just under 1.1MOA for standard clays at 400. Given a calm day and a sub-MOA rifle, it's not really even asking much.

My wife and I use clays regularly as rifle targets, since they represent about the same size of what we consider an appropriate target size for deer and coyote vitals. Our day to day range is 300yrds, but we regularly shoot at 600. We also shoot 20 and 32oz Gatorade bottles laying on their side (circular bottoms) and half gallon milk jugs (square bottoms) which are all in that 3-5" ballpark. Filled with water, the bottles are reactive targets as are the clay pigeons.

When an AR shoots 1/2 - 3/4 MOA at 100-200yrds, keeping it inside 1MOA at 400 either requires a calm day, or a moderate wind doping skill. Ain't magic. If my wife and I can do it, anybody can.

TacPro here has a shoot twice a year and does exactly this. a black backer board is set with three standard clays across the top, three mids across the bottom and two minis in the middle. Approx 8-10" between clays. they are at 400 yds and you have ten shots to clear the board and five stages total for 50 rds. just after daylight when calm it is easy for me to clear the board and might even have a round or two left over, but as it heats up and the wind picks up those little 2" minis are a just dang near impossible. by the end of the shoot I am having to hold about 6 or 7" into the wind. It is a lot of fun though.

I have a Colt 6721 AR topped with a Leupold VX III 3.5-10X scope with a Boone & Crocket reticle, that is a consistent .5 MOA rifle out to 300 yards. The 6721 has a factory Hbar barrel, and I've fit it with a 3# Timney trigger. Once I have the wind dope, it is very easy to hit clay targets at 400 with it when shooting off a bench.

Yeah mine can do it pretty regularly in not much wind. The problem is the trap master can't hear me yell "Pull!" From that distance. LOL! Seriously though....mine wouldn't stick around long if it couldn't.

My average is about 1 out of 3.

My bad I thought the OP was talking 40yds.
blush.gif

At 400 yds in good conditions the AR never misses, I might get a little aggressive with the trigger and screw up a shot or 2.

Originally Posted By: JohnBurnsMy average is about 1 out of 3.
blush.gif

That is impressive shooting!

Very impressive indeed. I don't have a 400 yd range close by but I have a 200 yd range where I shoot golf balls. Hits are better than 50%.

Originally Posted By: DogfaceOriginally Posted By: JohnBurnsMy average is about 1 out of 3.
blush.gif

That is impressive shooting!

Thats taking skeet to a different level for sure!!!!

Not sure if this counts but...

There is a Match at the Roanoke Rifle & Pistol club that have a similar shoot/match. In the past they have placed 5 "mini's" at 330 yards, 5 "midi's" at 425 yards & 5 "standards" at 500 yards. No sighters, shooters have 20 shots to break 15 skeet (you can miss 5 shots, or even use a few shots as lookers in the dirt bank & still be "clean"). Yes there are FEW when hit in the center that don't break but holes in them still counted as hits. They run this format about 2-3 years in a row and had ~45-55 competitors each year. They had 3 different classes but all shooters shot same format. Shooters that cleaned the course (or tied for most hits) would then enter into a sudden death shootoff.

I would say that 75% hits would be the very bottom of the term "consistent" (which is what this match required). They run this format about 2-3 years in a row and had ~50 competitors each year. This includes high end custom 3" flat benchrest rigs, tactical/hunter, AR's, and any factory platform (AR, heavy barrel, sporter, bolt, pump etc). All shot from covered concrete benches, pretty much unlimited rest (very stable platform where the gun should do what it can)...

Anybody want to guess the average number of guys that run clean out of 50 shooters. (Hint: evidently not many of them where members of this forum
w00t.gif
)

Originally Posted By: coleridgeAnybody want to guess the average number of guys that run clean out of 50 shooters. (Hint: evidently not many of them where members of this forum
w00t.gif
)

wild guess. 6 out of 50

Back