Spring Jackrabbits

WeaselCircus

Well as I mentioned in a previous post I went out Saturday scouting for some new rock chuck (marmot) hunting areas. Saw a few chucks when glassing but didn't get any shot opportunities as they were super wary. But then I stumbled across a whole bunch of jackrabbits that were running around in the sage brush and managed to get 10 or so of them with my new 17hmr folding pack rifle I just bought. That little thing works like a champ and is a whole lot of fun to shoot!

jacks2.jpg

jacks1.jpg

Well that looks like a good time to me for sure! Good going!

And is that rifle a Chiappa? Looks handy as can be. Seems like it can do the job for sure. Have you ever shot it for groups to see what it will do?

And what kind of scope you got on it? It's almost bigger than the gun!

Thanks Rusty. Yeah, it's a Chiappa Little Badger in 17hmr. I added on a barrel shroud (to help hold it without grabbing the barrel directly), and a longer top rail, and then did a paracord wrap on the top part of the metal stock. The scope is a 6-24 Bushnell that I had off another gun so I put it on the Chiappa to give it a test. It's more scope than needed for jackrabbits and I might put on a 3-9 or 4-12 instead, but even with that huge thing on the gun I can still fit it in a daypack. I've been looking for a while for a nice shooting little pack gun in something more than a .22LR and this thing seems to be about perfect. The trigger is surprisingly light and it shoots really well. I can't say how good the groups are yet though - when I took it out to sight it in last week it was pretty gusty. I'll do a proper group test on a calm day soon and report back, but on the gusty day it was shooting about the same as my bolt action hmr.

Just weighed it and with the scope and all it is right at 4.5 pounds. I think without the scope and shroud and whatnot it goes about 3.75 pounds.

That's a nice litter packable critter getter. I may have to look into it. Nice Jack Rabbit hunt by the way. I love bunny hunting.....

Might even come in a closer to 3 pounds, just saw that the Gunblast guy tested the 22mag version and it weighed about 3 stock. Maybe my scope is heavier than I thought... Anyway, it feels really small and light after toting around my normal varmint rifles.

great post keep us posted with review of this gun and how it shoots for groups. maybe post some 100 yard group pictures with brand of ammo etc. u you did a great job setting it up. I might do the same. martyd

Thanks guys. Still haven't managed to shoot it for groups - every time I've gone out over the last month it has been windy enough that it wouldn't be a good test. But it does well enough to smack sage rats consistently.

rats1.jpg

Back