Installing rail on free float tube.

i prefer to just buy a tube with a top rail already installed.

if you're referring to adding a rail for something like a bipod on the bottom, i'd be seriously concerned about using rivets as the attachment method. they just dont seem sturdy enough for that kind of abuse.

the standard way is to drill and tap the tube, or use a drilled/tapped backer plate inside the tube to tighten them down to the tube.

either way you want a good solid mount, something that'll take more abuse that a standard pop rivet will give you.

i have a couple non-railed free float tubes on uppers. on all of them the sling stud is screwed directly into the handguard in a threaded hole.

no need for a rail if thats all you're looking for. let us know how it turns out
smile.gif

If it were me, I would go with what JBO posted above. I have drilled and tapped several handguards for studs in the past and can tell you from experience it is pretty easy to over tighten the steel stud in the aluminum handguard.

I have a BTE free float handguard and I used Magpul M-Lock acçessories. They are a little too wide for the slots on the handguard so I thinned the protrusions on the rail ànd reshaped the lock tàbs so they would work with the thinner slots. They work great for me, I've had them on and off a couple of times for painting.

I used the Magpul QD sling swivel mount on the side of the handguard and a shortmrailm need for a light/bipod mount. Nice thing is you don't have to try and reach down and hold nuts in place. You could just filemthe slot in the handguard wider form the Magpul accessories to fit but I didn't want to mess up the paint job.

Last edited:
let me add - i've never drilled and tapped a handguard. the ones i have with the sling studs that are drilled and tapped came from DPMS and Bushmaster that way.

all my other rails where i added stuff on were the top rail type w/ customizable rail attachments points machined into them at 3, 6 and 9 oclock.

I had a slot cut in the bottom of the tube (not all the way to the end). About 6" long with an 1" wider space to insert the foot of a hand stop. Can also be used for a bipod or a sled. It just takes the place of a Anschutes rail on the bottom of the tube. Now, whatever is used on target rifles I can use on my AR.

Update on sling swivel stud. Found a Harris bipod adapter #2R on Amazon prime for $10 shipped to me. Followed instructions & got 'er done. Thanks for all support.

Back