surrounded by the pack

frantzracing0

Last night my father and I drove to a dead end rd, parked the truck, and walked about 200 yards into the thicket. Got setup to where we had heard them earlier in the week. A few min later I let out one long howl and then....all [beeep] broke loose. The entire mountain lit up with howls. In front of us, behind us, everywhere. They were coming and fast. Turned the lights on and could see at least ten sets of eyes all around us. One gust of wind ruined it for us. Just as fast as it started it was over. Hard to play the wind when you have dogs on every side of you. Came home empty handed but with one Heck of a memory

Wow, sounds like you guys had an exciting night. However, I Have a few suggestions that may make you more successful in future hunts. It appears that you didn't have your scan light on until you heard them. I suggest you keep your scan light on the entire time. Also it is best to hunt in open ares so you can see them coming from longer distances. This will also condition them to your scan light while they are approaching, so when they get in range you will not spook them with your brighter gun light. Call them to you from the thicket into open ares and make sure you can see the down wind side.

Once they are educated it will be much more difficult to call them back in.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Night EyesWow, sounds like you guys had an exciting night. However, I Have a few suggestions that may make you more successful in future hunts. It appears that you didn't have your scan light on until you heard them. I suggest you keep your scan light on the entire time. Also it is best to hunt in open ares so you can see them coming from longer distances. This will also condition them to your scan light while they are approaching, so when they get in range you will not spook them with your brighter gun light. Call them to you from the thicket into open ares and make sure you can see the down wind side.

Once they are educated it will be much more difficult to call them back in.

Good luck!

Usually we do, but this particular area has no open area. It's literally 640 acres of old horse pasture that is grown about 7 feet tall.

Originally Posted By: frantzracing0Usually we do, but this particular area has no open area. It's literally 640 acres of old horse pasture that is grown about 7 feet tall.

how in the world do you plan on seeing or killing anything in that stuff? day or night?

frantzracingO,

If you should ever have a question about night hunting in PA I will be more than happy to help you out. The best way to reach me is by phone.

Joe (814) 364-9660

Last edited:
I have killed a handful in this spot over the years. Always with shotguns. Its not so overgrown that you cant see anything at all, just very thick. Still plenty of shot opportunity if you can get them inside of 75 yards. There are plenty of trails in and out and a few openings here and there.

Originally Posted By: Rusty BlackMaybe setup a tree stand.....makes a world of difference...

Or an area where it is open and they come in from the UPWIND direction.................

Back