My New 6X45 Rig

GLShooter

The new barrel showed up about twenty days ago but time wasn't on my side for getting to it. I changed out my 20-250 barrel and set the 6X45 up. This is a long action and as I had a 223 bolt for a short action I had to do some adjusting. This will give you an idea on the differences. The bolts are one for SA and one for LA. These happen to both be in 308. The firing pins are the same length but you can see where I had to move the collar out for the SA bolt about 0.200. I also had to adjust the firing pin fall just a tad with the back part.

It took me about five minutes to pull the old barrel and replace it with the new one. I had ordered in a new Manson HS 223 gauge so it went quickly. I have this one set for right on zero head space. The fired cartridges were 0.003 shorter in the shoulder from the new brass than when they went in the chamber. Blowing out the body and changing the shoulder/neck intersection makes up the total difference.

The barrel mounted up. This one is 26"

The finished rifle that I will be shooting over the next few weeks if I get some time. I am debating about buying some Lapua for this one though I do have a fresh bag of Winchester 223 setting here. A mandrel makes short work of the conversion so that is not a problem.

These Savage rifles are so easy to work with. I now have bolt heads for the small 308 and under and need to order up a Magnum head as I have a fresh 300 Win. Mag setting in the corner in the tube.

Greg

I have basically the same rifle. Mines a single shot action in 22-250. Been thinking about rebarreling it but not sure what to. I was going to go 6x45 on the Mohawk but decided to go 20 Practical. Maybe 6x45 for the Savage. Like to see range reports from yours in the future as it may help me decide.
By the way,yours looks real nice with that new tube.

Last edited:
I built a 25x45 so I have the option of shooting cheap cast bullets. I buy bulk coated cast and use a load of Trail Boss, almost no recoil and a lot of fun to play with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MattkccI built a 25x45 so I have the option of shooting cheap cast bullets. I buy bulk coated cast and use a load of Trail Boss, almost no recoil and a lot of fun to play with.

My 25X45 is an AR. I haven't got to wring it out yet but I have 800 90 grain Sierras to try it with. I would guess that maybe my Bushy and my SOCOM are the only ones that will see lead bullets.

Any specific bullet you are going to run on varmints. That will be a very nice p-dog rig and no issues to 700 yards at least.
I have 4 6x45s with the same twist & BHW bbl of course. I run the heavy sporters over the varmint bbls. though.

Try 25 grains of AA2015 with 70 grain pills. Both my BHW 6x45's shot that into clovers if not dime sized groups any day of the week.

Interesting post to me. Place here in Tx, called the Gun Shack, stocks Savage replacement barrels by Shaw and McGowen, in various cartridges. Put one of the Shaw 6x45 barrels (cost to my home in Tx was $233....McGowen is $100 more) on a .223 Axis rifle. Nice cartridge the 6x45. The Shaw 6x45 has shot so well, that in our next competition at range I'm a member, I'll use it. Presently, I use around 26.7 gr of Ramshot TAC with Sierra 60 gr HP....but its done well with bullets up to 105 gr with IMR 8208 powder.

I've been shooting 6X45 AR's since the 80's. I've won enough Gold with them to pay off the debts of two small countries. I've used it in 3Gun and a myriad of police sniper matches. I shot one extensively in 500 yard F-Class two years ago and did well.. My wife has a full custom done up with a Shilen in a 17.5" carbine. I steal it for some urban style carbine matches.

Absolutely one of the best balanced cartidges out there.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterI've been shooting 6X45 AR's since the 80's. I've won enough Gold with them to pay off the debts of two small countries. I've used it in 3Gun and a myriad of police sniper matches. I shot one extensively in 500 yard F-Class two years ago and did well.. My wife has a full custom done up with a Shilen in a 17.5" carbine. I steal it for some urban style carbine matches.

Greg

Greg,
What are some of your favorite match loads? Thanks
Chuck

Originally Posted By: Willicd76Originally Posted By: GLShooter

Greg,
What are some of your favorite match loads? Thanks
Chuck

I have used the 867 Hornady HBBT across the board in 98% of my matches. Al Winchester brass all with Rem 7 1/2's.

In a magazine, 2.260, I shot 26.5 of 748 and in my long single shot loads a charge of 27.0 RL15. I shot a few 80 Remington PSP's one year for a close in under 100 yards over 748 as I didn't have anything handy for a match and it was fine but not what I could consider my go to bullet.

Greg

I have about the same rig with a 1-8 twist Shaw 26 inch barrel.My favorite load is Benchmark with Speer 75 grain varmint hp.Deadly on prairie dogs with good splat factor past 400 yards,loading up now for my annual trip to Oklahoma panhandle

Originally Posted By: Willicd76What kind of velocity and accuracy were you getting out of the 87 hornady.

24" AR for F-Class 2950 with no problems with pressure. Accuracy was down around 0.5-0.6 with some smaller on a good day. I expect the bolt gun to be better

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooter

Greg

Can you expand on that a little more? Also, how is it any better than the .223 if shooting 70 to 85 grain bullets?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: rookie7 How is it any better than the .223 if shooting 70 to 85 grain bullets? Thanks

I haven't checked the ballistics of the 6x45 vs the .223 with heavier bullets, but there is something to be said for frontal diameter. If nothing more and all else being equal, there is the difference in caliber size. While only a marginal difference, it still exists - .22 vs .24 caliber.

I own both in ARs, but the 6x45 is my favorite.

Back