vortex strike eagle issues?

I've owned two Vipers. What I found is they were seriously lacking in low light compared to other scopes I own and the eye relief was very critical. They do have an outstanding warranty but so does Leupold.
Everyone's eyes are different so it could easily be that my eyes and Vortex scopes aren't compatible whereas for someone else the opposite could be true. I do have a Razor Mini-Red Dot that I like.

AZ

My favorite AR has a Strike Eagle that replaced a Razor 1-6. Though not a Vortex collector, am pleased and willing to claim it's a winner in the context of quality and value. (What's a better 1x low power variable for $329?) Only problem I have with it is the reticle design, which is subjective/preference. Today can say that it's plenty nice enough, and there's nothing about it whatsoever for me to complain about. Liking it so far, anyway.

Vortex is what it is for folks..Love/Hate.It got huge fast catering to the "tactical" minded shooters,an appealing warranty,and a price according.

IMO there are 4 types of a market for scopes..
$50-500
$500-1200
$1200-$2200
$2200+
Before Vortex there was only high end and junk,no happy medium.

Vortex came out with the PST line that gave features of a high end "tactical" scope with an appealing price.
That being said...they exploded the market and they got huge because of it.I have a sub #500 serial number Viper PST(and still have)and it is built WAY different then what you see now.My suspicion is they are being made faster/cheaper/less QA.I have had a few later PST's and needless to say after I broke both of them I was done with this lineup.
The Razor HD/High end offerings of Vortex are another story..GREAT stuff.
As for the strike eagle,I have not tried one out,but I have run the Razor HD 1-6x on my 3-Gun/6x45 night hunting AR,and its great.

Vortex's warranty and turnaround time was great..But just like Nightforce says..The best warranty is the one you won't ever have to use.I have been a happy NF user for years,and won't turn back.
Buy once,cry once theory.

Last edited:
I own some Leupold, Nikon Monarck, Vortex, and Burris XTR II scopes. Each one has a specific application I wanted it for. I recently picked up my first AR, and was going to get a Vortex Strike Eagle as well, but read many posts about having issues with it. I went with a Steiner M5Xi 1-5x24 instead and couldn't be happier. Ridiculously clear glass.

Considering the original concern and question, and owning and comparing to claims of 'parallax at 1x/blurry at 6x', the original poster had a lemon, dealing with eye issues, other... Is parallax at 1x parallax?

From someone with great aversion to using and owning variables, my Strike Eagle is very nice with no distortions whatsoever. It's going to work great until shows a sign of failure, which can be repaired under warranty. Even at $329, will far exceed the shooting discernment limitations of 95% of all AR owners spending more than $500. If you need a superior 1x variable, consider yourself in the top 5%, either by skill level or those that throw money at looking the part.

The objective and general reputation of the Strike Eagle is that it's one of the best things going for a lot of AR shooters. What I've seen validates. Take your pick to speak from subjective sentiment, bad experience where the maker didn't reconcile, from unhealthy skepticism or bad faith,...but you're not going to BS me about what the Strike Eagle represents at $329, and that's just the way it is. It's a rare value gem that's way more than enough for most.

I have been trying to decide between the Strike Eagle and Crossfire II 1-4 VBrite. I figured the Strike Eagle would be the clear winner but I too seemed to be noticing some weird behavior from the Strike Eagle I handled in store compared to the cheaper Crossfire II. I like the extra zoom of the Strike Eagle so I'm going to try and see both side by side at a different store but right now I like the cheaper Crossfire better. Could there be some sort of issue with my eyes and the 1-6x vs 1-4x? I do t have astigmatism as far as I know.

My wife has a Vortex viper and loves it. I have a Vortex crossfire II on my .223. Both are great scopes and we are able to produce 1/4 MOA with our loads. Maybe you just have the odd lemon. All feedback that I've heard are very positive for vortex products.

Last edited:
Back