6.8 SPC?

6mm06

Anyone using a 6.8 SPC 2 for hogs?

What barrel length is ideal as well as bullets and loads.

Just looking for some good information on the cartridge, loads and performance, as well as uppers you are using and expected accuracy.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Just looking for some good information on the cartridge, loads and performance.

That's the perfect hog caliber IMO. Hits hard and very little recoil. Factory loads for the 6.8 are usually based on 16 inch barrels but I know guys that have checked them with SBR uppers with a negligible loss of speed.

Bullets?..... Nosler Accubond...Barnes TSX.....Hornady SST. I have had pretty good results with Federal 90 grain Speer bonded soft points also.

Last edited:
we have shot 6.8 from hornady in 110-120 grain SST, Gmax and a few others out of several barrel lengths. All have performed very well from 0 to 241 yards. I love it.

I am loving it more and more as I read reviews on the cartridge.

Are there accurate uppers readily available? I have a Dtech 6x45 upper that is a tack driver, but turnaround time is a bit long. Any recommendations?

What about expected accuracy and optimal barrel length?

I don't shoot hogs with mine, but it's a hammer for sure. The 6.8 is designed for optimum performance from a 16 inch barrel.

I built one as a 20 inch because I thought I could name a good 600yd gun. Didnt like it. Swapped the barrel for a 16 inch and the groups shrank by half. Lost a little speed but this cartridge was never designed for speed anyway.

Big fan.

I've got two one has a 16" pacnor barrel on it, shoots most everything into one hole groups, the other one has an 11.5" barrel shooting 90gr bullets @ 2700 fps with an Eotech sight I have no problem hitting a 4" ball at 150 yrds.

My son and both my hunting buddys run 6.8's also.

Yes, the 6.8 SPC is a great hog or deer rifle, and with the lighter hunting bullets, pretty decent ballistics wise out to 300 yards. Longer if shooting VLDs at steel, with the faster twist barrel(1:10). I have one rifle with a 16" barrel, 1:10 twist, SPC II chamber, that I would use on steel, if so inclined. Today it has a red dot, and shoots 110 gr. VMax bullets on home defense duty. My hunting rifle is a 18" ARP barrel, 1:11.25 twist, 5R rifling that is a tack driver. It shoots Speer or Sierra 90 gr. HPs into .5 MOA groups or better. My favorite deer bullet is the 95 gr. Barnes TTSX, and I am sure it would be a hammer on hogs, as well. Those bullets also go into sub-MOA groups. IMHO the perfect deer/hog rifle for recoil sensitive, or fast follow up situations, or in the case of hogs, a target rich environment.

As for who builds an accurate upper, I had one built by RRA, and it is accurate, but I think there are better choices out there. I just don't know who they might be. I build my own.

Squeeze

Just looking for some good information on the cartridge, loads and performance, as well as uppers you are using and expected accuracy.

I've got an 12" SBR upper in the mail from DTech. Should be here any day now. Got it for contest hunting, hogs and deer. I have a bunch of bullets and powders to try when it gets here. From all the research I've done it should be good to 300 on hogs, but I realistically never shoot that far.

Oh, by the way Mike has new Machining capabilities now and his current wait times are 2-3 months.

Last edited:
David ....that's what I hog hunt with....use the Hornady 120 gr.SST....knocks down....been using it for three years now and love it. I have a stag 6.8 spcII 16"barrel. top it with a thermal scope and your good to go.

Guys, I really appreciate all the responses, and welcome more. This is a learning thing for me and I'm sure for others too. It's always good to hear from guys who have been there and done that.

LarryB, what kind of accuracy are you getting from the Stag?

Does anyone have thoughts about these uppers and what accuracy might I expect from them? Do you have a preference, or recommend something else? There are several uppers in Gunbroker too but I don't know how good they are.

https://www.stagarms.com/stag-7h/

http://bisonarmory.com/18-spr-6-8-upper-with-modular-forearm/

http://bisonarmory.com/16-recon-6-8-bsp-upper-with-quad-forearm/

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=249

6mm - I have a few 6.8's and they are very effective. If you were rolling your own upper you should get a barrel from ARPerformance (Harrison Beene). My 12.5 ARP upper will shoot under an inch at 100 yards.

I have two LWRCI Six8 uppers, but that's a different deal. One is set up and shoots under an inch (16 inch barrel).

I can't comment on the uppers you list as I have no experience with them.

Two other things....if you haven't made it over to 68forums then do so asap. The best 6.8 reference on the interweb. And Todd Huey of Lone Star Boars kills TONS of hogs with his LWRCI 6.8 Razorback. Watch some of Todd's videos if you haven't already.

Sendit

What barrel twist is recommended?

That depends on your bullet choice. There has been a bunch of research and development on this, by several groups, and most of them live on, or visit, the 6.8Forums. But to condense it down, results show the 1:11.25 twist gets the most velocity out of typical bullets(85-110 gr), with good stability. The 1:10 twist barrels came from the .270 Win. chambered hunting rifles, shooting the typical 130 gr, to 150 gr, bullets. In the 6.8 SPC, most of the bullets chosen are between 90-110 gr, so the 1:10 twist is faster than it needs to be for the shorter lighter bullets, and that increases pressure, unnecessarily, and ultimately lowers potential velocity of lighter bullets.

I have both a 1:10 twist RRA upper, with a SPC II chamber, and a 1:11.25 twist ARP barrel(DMR chamber) on a home spun upper. Both put 90-95 gr. bullets into tiny groups, but I do see signs of pressure sooner in the RRA barrel, and less velocity. Most of my loads are for accuracy, so they aren't pushing max. loads. I do shoot them in both rifles, just in case one of my sons, or grandson, end up with the rifle, and "Grandpa's Ammo". The RRA upper will show flattened primers, but no extractor marks, for a couple of the warmer hunting loads.

If I were shooting heavier .277 bullets(130-150gr), then I would stick with the 1:10 twist, to insure good bullet stability, and live with more arch in my ballistics.

One side note. Barnes came out with a 95 gr. Tipped Triple Shock bullet, targeted for the 6.8 SPC. IMHO one doesn't need the heavier traditional .270 Win bullets, to get excellent on game results with the little brother to the .270 Win.

Squeeze

Back