Building an Extended Battery Pack for Armasight Thermal.....

Bocephuss

Not sure if we have any tech guys on here that can help me, but I will give it a shot.

I have an Armasight Zeus 336 thermal unit. Absolutely love the unit, and I also absolutely hate the battery life. IF I'm lucky in the winter I will get 30 minutes from a set of batteries. To minimize a little bit, I built a "coat" for the thermal to keep it warm along with the batteries and that helped. But even now with it being warmer, I want the batteries to last 600 times longer. I "want" this thing to be able to operate for 8 hours without having to change the batteries.

My thought with this type of want, is to build something my self. I am by no means a tech / electrical guy, but I can follow instructions very well.

Here's where my questions start. The unit came with an additional cable that says its meant for plugging in an additional power supply. The only details it gave me on that were 6VDC/600mA. My plan was to find a suitable power pack in the internet that has a charger, put the correct connector on that pack, and just plug it into that cable. Is that a feasible plan assuming I get the correct battery that meets the electrical needs? I would also like to extend this cord so that in the winter time, I can put my auxiliary battery pack in my pocket or coat to keep it warm.

Here is a battery pack that I was looking at:

http://www.all-battery.com/nicd6v5000mahbatterypackforemergencelight.aspx

Would that do the trick? Assuming I put the correct connector on it? And how long do you think that pack would power up the thermal?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

Last edited:
Here's what I have coming,
Not sure how long it will last

Armasight Extended Battery Pack for all Armasight Thermal and Digital Devices

ATAM000008 1 $200.00

they say eight hrs. the battery pack for my pulsar hd19a lasts a long time. probably 3 to four times longer than the internal batteries.

The one from Armasight says it runs on 2-18650 rechargeable batteries. I think I read where about the max for these now is around 3600mah although you see them advertised over 6000mah. If the 3600 is about right for one 18650 then the Armasight unit should be around 7000mah and it says up to 8 hours run time. All that being said, the unit you are looking at would be in the ball park of 5-6 hours. To be safe, there was one on the same page of your link that said 10000mah that might run it all night long. I don't trust the advertised mah ratings on any of this stuff after reading some articles on rechargeable batteries recently. They can advertise about anything they want to in order to catch your eye ($$$).

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-maximum-capacity-of-a-18650-battery

Last edited:
I agree with you on the advertised specs on those batteries, I take most of them with a grain of salt. I'm more worried with getting the voltage correct. If the batteries are cheap enough, I can just keep building until I get the usage time I am looking for.

Back