AppariTion Like

Wile E Coyotie

its a busy time of the yr - i am burning rubber like crazy here right now-on the Tacoma- -
-its a big country and thousands n thousands of calves r being born all across Southern sask-
some of the places i am running the snare wires - --they r efficient killers - but they don't get a report and r not part of calling count- like sniping-

I see in another thread on PMasters- someone asking -do coyotes really kill calves -- -man u should come here to see it your self - -a sections size pasture ( 1mile x 1 mile)-
smattered with 600 black angus heifers --there r real loses -ear tagged calves lost- u figure 10 calves value ?? 1500.00/per may b low ball-
-and this place might appear to b coyote heaven - but there are many places facing the same issue

here- the tallest shrub is a bit bigger than a golf ball- its wide open with a huge ravine running down its center-- the first day i could count 9 doggs in the pasture 9:00 am
- but -could not access them -to far to shoot and to open to approach -- with cows all amongst them -
and ya u gotta stay out on the outer edge of the pasture cuz of the foaming mad cows -who think u r threat and will make u- know they mean biz--if u try to cross through them - not this guy - there would b dead cows-

-the first 2 mornings they out smarted me - cuz -i was new gathering Intell-- but did manage- to knock down 2 over the tailgate of the truck right close to the HQ

the NW corner seems to b a focal point- and most come and go from there -
3 nights ago i took the time to get set up into the corner - 3 hrs before dark -- i walked in -- all of it up hill to 300 foot elevation change 1 mile-

the last 100 feet holding up as the setting sun was too bright and i know i need to b worried about sky lining-waiting for the sun to b down took awhile but - well thought out

i eased up onto the horizon after the sun set finding 2 black cows ahead of me- on their side of the fence -me on mine--

- i did not want to give up my silhouette yet and so in a crouching movement on my knees i inch forward with the range finder around my neck and Swift in my arms --
the closest cow is not even looking at me but starts bellowing- with new calf on the ground and all the entrails hanging out of her--

- i am only showing my head and shoulder but right away she charges over my way foaming mad belle-ring- i squat down and try to make my self small--and realize she thinks i am coyote -
- i am glad i am on my side of the fence ---trying to figure out what to do- i see ahead of me -4 magpies fly and land on the fence wire in front 100 yrds out - like the dinner bell ringing they show up for action - i guy can learn alot from Magpies-

- now on the horizon 260 yrd a canine crest the hill top and starts it down hill approach to me - i have time to range and deploy Bi pod- and range again -- the dog is fully mange and has a rat tail no hair - i waste no time and end his time - - he rolls to the bottom --sniped

i wonder where the cow is at cuz - she was only a few yards away from me -when i fired - and when i look - i find her retreating on a trot - but find also a 2nd coyote- at 60 yrds looking at me --
i try to get on it but - it turns and runs -dropping into a low sot --- i started lip squeaking and the pot-licker turn 180 degrees to run back into the same standing position - DRT #1006-sub adult male - white sable white red-- i see 5 before dark-

next night - i get smarter - i bring Honda Forman and ride up to rock pile and pull black ATV cover over bike - 1000 other black size beasts out there my reasoning-
i sit couple hours and at one point have a big white dog on the hill side 387 yrds - but decide to hold off-sniping-- few more hour later i was double guessing that decision -
i am not calling - and do not want to show my cards yet to them-

after sun set -i put out a greeting howl---and sit --silent - no response -5 mins-- but while looking around notice moment -- and sure enough cresting the hill top- is a giant white-

i need to move the set up a bit and i am really worried about getting caught-

he -floats -without moving his feet and legs at all straight legged pinned together like he is holding an egg with all his toes-
almost like in a trance -head cocked to one side -

- like on a carpet- he floats the first 100 yrds as an apparition -- its so quiet - i think i can hear angles singing-
my muscles r tight i have trouble moving like I am being suppressed - he looks like a ghost hanging in the air not touching the ground--- i have never seen anything like it --crushing to my ego-he is moving slowly like a cloud- i have trouble
the noise of the Bipod making contact with the rocks in front of me sounds like a landslide- he continues - apparition like to a position 137 yrd out and sits down licking his chops

- 10 seconds is a long time - especially when ur about to make time Burn real fast- - i give him a good look -he is glowing on the hill side - he had no fear of me - he did not have any reason- stretch yawn scratch
- i had shot over - a big white dogg a few days before - because of different elevations - my excuse-

-and so in my mind in those 10 seconds -i told my self hold low - he is 100 feet below u- I am Jacked-- on the BIG eye 10 x -and touch off - breaking the front right corner flatting him-

then the screaming- this is good - it will bring others -- but he is now up and moving - - i center - fire - with heavy impacting thud- spinning him around -- i am all in and tap him again- still he use gravity and gets off my horizon into the bottom below

-here I find him the next day-tired and tight-- #1007 adult alpha male beauty white sable golden white- old snaggle tooth- no more running in the calf pasture for him

yesterday i used ATV and covered a big piece - all around the pasture-- i actually had one stand up and look at me long enough for me to get off atv - unpack- load and discharge
scoring on a small sub female-
got in a number of calling session and had a big white one run my wind late in the morning- he stopped long enough to get a taste and left the scene with a big red oil slick trailing

last set of the day - storm is coming --overlooking big drop 500 feet- wind in my face i am up by the white mud wall in the upper left corner-- 6 mins - 2 greeting howls
#1008 adult male white sable sage -- i sit the whole next 20 mins - taking in the view-respecting the moment-

snowing and raining soggy day today - a day off for me - but - I bet they r out there moving at dark tonight- Wile E

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Back