My Dog Got Into It With A Ground Squirrel

woodguru

It was hard to tell at first what all was injuries because he seemed to have been bit on the mouth, there was a lot of blood (I did not see him get it, only the squirrel as he was dying).

I saw some blood on his front leg but thought it had dripped from the mouth wound. A bit later I wanted to see how things were and he had a gash on his front leg that was about an inch and a half deep and gaped open more than a quarter of an inch.

He apparently chased the squirrel into a flower bed that had a barrier fence with some really sharp wire ends.

When I went to pick the squirrel up the skin and fur had been pulled off of three inches of the end of the tail. It looked like the dog may have pulled him by the tail which could explain getting bit under the chin and mouth.

The vet asked so what do we have here? I said the dog had gotten into a scrap with a squirrel, he said looks like he lost. I told him nope, the squirrels is dead, I don't think he considers it a win.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthought you wife was a vet?

She specializes in birds, next time we have a cut like this was we'll stitch it ourselves, I would have if I knew how to do surgeon's knots. I'm having her show me.

Originally Posted By: possumalYou have to watch those squirrels. They bite on nuts.

They will do that, yes they will....
lol.gif

I have also heard that they cut on hickory nuts sometimes. I guess in addition to biting nuts, they carry a knife too. Dangerous beasts for sure.

Had a squirrel hanging off my BMC's lip when he was about 6 months old. I was glad he didn't get cut worse. (Had to knock it off) He shakes the heck out of 'em before they get a chance now.

Brad, I can relate to your squirrel story. We had a young female beagle who ran in to grab a crippled fox squirrel, and he bit her in the nose. Blood shot out something awful. She squalled loud, backed up to regain herself, and then went in and crushed every bone in his chest. Nothing could ever bite her after that. I hope your BMC has the a similar result.

my uncles chocolate lab was a squirrel hater. Bud had many a successful bout with them, including a memorable one where he chased one into the downspout, and ripped it off the side of the house.

he trapped the squirrel in by pinching the upper end shut, and then running back to the other side and doing the same. i was out with them when it happened, and when we got home we found the downspout laying up near the deck. It was flattened from both ends and full of bite marks with a lump in the middle with fur sticking out of the holes there. i mean you cant even be mad about replacing the downspout at that point. it was an impressive display. sadly it was back before camera phones were common though. i'd love to have been able to get a pic of that downspout lol

Originally Posted By: possumalI have also heard that they cut on hickory nuts sometimes. I guess in addition to biting nuts, they carry a knife too. Dangerous beasts for sure. too funny!

Originally Posted By: azmastablastaOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotthought you wife was a vet?
lol.gif
Oh gee, he must have forgot.

She does birds and exotics only, did you forget?

Back