20 Practical Barrel Length

CanineKilla

What's the best barrel length in a 1:10 twist for good velocity for use for called predators out to 300 yards and most shots within 150? I know everyone says 24 but I was looking at the 18" but not sure if that's to short to still be around 3600+ fps. I've read on other forums but couldn't find any current data. Its a hunting gun and don't wanna be lugging around a 24" javilin everywhere. Only going to 20 cal because it opens up certain areas earlier in my state and already have the 223 brass

My opinion would be a 20" for your needs. Get it in a light profile and you won't be unhappy. Your bullet choices will let you pick but a 35 Berger or 39 Sierra will get your 3600+ easily. It would just give you a cushion for the cold weather as mine are shot in the heat. My 24" guns are running 3750-4100 with 32's to 39's with some powders being a tad faster than others.

I haven't chronographed an 18" but my gut says given a 300 yard AO it would do well for you also.

Greg

22" is the length I went with on my 20P AR15.
I did not want to loose speed going shorter otherwise doing a 20p would not really be worth it.
I used BHW barrel, light contour also so the weight/balance was nice.

Oh. Ok. Yah. I was going with BH, I just didn't know if there was that much of a difference between the 18-22. I guess if I get the 22 and can't stand it I can get it chopped.

Originally Posted By: CanineKillaOh. Ok. Yah. I was going with BH, I just didn't know if there was that much of a difference between the 18-22. I guess if I get the 22 and can't stand it I can get it chopped.

I agree. Like boards you can cut them off but it's hard to add to them.

Greg

Here is what I'm doing with my 20 Tactical. I have a 22" Shillen 10 twist that shoots 35g Bergers at 3950, but it's crazy long with a suppressor and pretty heavy as well. I used my Quick Load program and it says I will get around 3700 with a 32g Vmax or Blitzking in a 16" barrel, so that's what I ordered in a lightweight contour 12 twist. Im getting too much fur damage at closer ranges and I need to slow the bullet down some as well as make the overall length shorter. But I don't really know if it will work well until I get the barrel.

Back