Best powder load for .223 40 gr vmax??

cjg_beef

I'm just trying to work up a load but was wondering if you guys can share some of your findings to save me some time. I'm shooting a NEF .223, Accurate 2460, 40 gr vmax, and CCI small rifle primers. How many grains of Accurate have given you guys the best groups and velocity?

Oo-oo, I know this one!

That's my exact load, primer and all.

I use 27.5 gr.

My Lil Chrony clocks 'em at 3800 out of a 24" AR. I think my Chrony is a bit on the optimstic side though.

I load 'em right on the lands and get sub MOA out to 400 yds.

The reason I use this recipe is I've been prairie dog shooting for 10 years now and got obsessed with speed over accuracy for the explosive effect. Anyway, I spoke to the different bullet manufacturers and most of them agreed that for max speed while maintaining acceptable accuracy 2460 is the shiznit.

BTW don't bother experimenting with the Silver tips. No great improvement and cost much more.

Good luck.

I have some that I loaded with 26.9 grains of 2460 but cant remember how they shot. I am taking my AR to the range tomorrow and will let you know.

Best powder is VV N-133 or WC844. WC844 with IMI brass, CCI-450 primers, mollied 40 Noslers in my 40XB with a Hart barrel is good for 4000fps, actually 4044fps. And does it group!

Hey thanks for the help. I'm going to load some up next week and test them out. I'm just tired of shooting FMJ's they are accurate but I want to see some more speed and some SPLATTER!!!

If you realy want to see them go SPLAT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Try some 40 grain Varminator's from Barnes. They realy make a mist out of them PD's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Hey There,

My NEF (Stainless Sythetic) loves the 40gr. over top of Varget shoots em one hole ragged at 100yrds all day. I use Winchester brass, Winchester primers.

Regards,
Lefty

Back